Bison or Cow Tooth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bison or Cow Tooth?

Found near Masonville Colorado, just west of Fort Collins and in a creek.

Hard to say without the roots. Herbivore without doubt ! I always bring teeth in too. Except human molars of course!
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Uber_Coyote View Post
      Found near Masonville Colorado, just west of Fort Collins and in a creek.
      Bison,
      It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
      It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
      Circa:1982

Comment

• Uber_Coyote
        Uber_Coyote commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you mind if I ask how you’re sure that it’s a bison tooth?

There is what is called a "stylid"
      central part of tooth that does not go to chewing surface. Google it.
      I'm on my phone without image.
      It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
      It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
      Circa:1982

Comment

Although I would agree that’s a Bison tooth, might I just clarify that the presence of a stylid alone is not a confirmatory diagnostic feature. Stylids are present to varying degrees in the cheek teeth of all Bovidae, of which there are about 140 species (not all present in North America) - including bison, antelope, gazelle, sheep, goats, muskoxen and domestic cattle. It is also occasionally present in some horses, although far less frequently, much less prominently and normally only in deciduous lower cheek teeth. Here the ridge pattern on the occlusal surface in combination with the size and general tooth morphology confirm it as Bison or Bos (domestic cattle) but the stylid leaves an uncertainty.

The conclusive diagnostic feature for Bison versus Bos is that the stylid is isolated… ie present as a discrete column of enamel that is separate from the main cusps of the tooth. Like this (stylid arrowed in yellow):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bison1.jpg
Views:	1134
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	460909

[pic by Thomas McConnell]

After a little wear, an isolated stylid can be often be seen as a completely separate tiny donut ring on the occlusal surface. Like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bison2.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	460910

[pic from Farm Bleat blog]

In this case the stylid is prominent but not isolated, so it’s indeterminate from that feature alone, but with a high probability for Bison based on its other features.

Note also that the absence of a stylid doesn’t rule out Bison since its sometimes obscured by tooth wear, or may be so isolated that it breaks away from the tooth if the cementum securing it erodes away.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
        X