Fossilize Bone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fossilize Bone?

Creek find in Southeast Texas about half a mile from a Indian camp site. Did the lick test and it has some stick to it. If it is bone any thoughts on what from?

I'm sure someone will know just not me
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately the pictures can't be enlarged enough to confirm bone structure, but that is what it looks like. Also, if it is bone, there aren't really any diagnostic features remaining to enable it to be identified.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Roger has got it pegged. If it is bony material at all, it may be the marrow and outer bone structure eroded away.
        It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
        It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
        Circa:1982

Comment

I find fossils on the Brazos River all the time, and I'm sure they can be found on other rivers and creeks in the area too. What you have is definitely fossilized bone, probably between 12,000 and 2,000 years old - the time period known as the Pleistocene. Most of what I find is from mammals, so that's most likely what you've got too. Unfortunately, like painshill said, it's too eroded and fragmented to determine anything else beyond that. Good find though!

Comment

Working...
          X