A friends fossils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A friends fossils

My friend found these on their farm while developing a spring. I'm hoping the fossil guys will see these and can help me identify these for him. The two in hand have a mother-of-pearl shine to them. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
    Judith Basin, Montana

Interesting pieces but don't know much about fossils
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

There are a lot of Ammonite fossils in Montana that have that mother of pearl look to them. I'm sure Painshill will know exactly what it is, but it could be a smaller piece of a much larger fossil.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I’d be interested to know what they are also.....
        Floridaboy.

Comment

I’ve been watching that dinosaur hunter show on discovery channel. You guys have a ton of the dead lizards up there. Pretty fascinating stuff to me,
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I've been watching it to.

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            Great show.

Good specimens.

The first item is undoubtedly something with an exterior shell. If you look closely, there are some undulations, which I have marked in red below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ammonite.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	468928

I think those are the ridges from an ammonite shell which was sufficiently large that the spiral curvature of the shell itself is not obvious. You can see something similar on this Holoscaphites ammonite (from the Pierre Shale of Montana).

Name:	Holoscaphites.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	468929

The final item is the rear end of a pair of horn corals. Heavily eroded. Something similar to these (from Ohio, but they have a very wide distribution).

Name:	Horn Corals.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	468930

The other item is doing its best to present features to suggest it’s a cone from an Equisetalian plant but I’m sure it’s another coral. It looks like the broken lobe from a stony coral in the territory of Acropora. Couldn’t quickly find a suitable fossil picture, but they often grow in that lobe-like colonial form. This one is a living colony of Acropora digitifera, but there are (and were) many other related species that grow in a similar way.

Name:	Acropora.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	468931
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thank you Roger. I was hoping you or Jesse would chime in..
            Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Working...
            X