Twofer Tuesday !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twofer Tuesday !

Found these a few years ago in a load of stone not Shure what they belong to I was thinking some sort of tail bone ??? Found in Cumberland Co. NJ Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	479486 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	479487 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	479488 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	479489
    Last edited by Hoss; 08-19-2020, 12:46 PM.
    New Jersey

Really look like vertebrae.
    SE IA

Comment

Great examples, further up from the tailbones....too bad way back you didn’t find out where they came from , we get that stuff all the time, , and can usually be traced to the fossil beds where they were dug, sometimes the site is available for lookin, ..Makes ya wonder what was left behind...
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Came from the bottom of the Atlantic ocean somewhere I need scuba gear lol
        New Jersey

Comment

For me, finding fossils is as enjoyable as finding points!
          Deb
          Child of the tides

Comment

Good finds. Those are fossil fish vertebrae... almost certainly shark.
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

From my limited experience shark vertebrae are "skinnier" and not so concaved. I have not been wrong today yet so this could be it. I would go with a fish like a tuna or other large similar fish. Below is a fossil tuna vertebrae.

Comment

Originally posted by Planko View Post
                From my limited experience shark vertebrae are "skinnier" and not so concaved. I have not been wrong today yet so this could be it. I would go with a fish like a tuna or other large similar fish.
                Depends on the shark species... they vary enormously, but shark vertebrae are generally the most numerically abundant sizeable fish vertebral fossils. These are shark:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shark.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	488669

But so is this:

Name:	Shark2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	488670

Fish vertebrae are notoriously difficult to identify, but tuna have a very characteristic shape, seen more clearly here:

Name:	Tuna.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	488671

[All pictures from and copyright of 'fossiilguy.com' website]
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Well best part and worst part is without a good location to help either case, we will probably never know. If you are ever near a museum, or have a paleontology club nearby, take them and see if someone knows. Hands on sometimes is the best way to identify.

Comment

Working...
                  X