Fossil sea urchin or coral?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fossil sea urchin or coral?

I found this in Southern Utah near Cedar City. I’ve been told it is a sea urchin or coral from the inland sea that covered parts of Utah at the time. I would appreciate your input as to identity and age. Thanks
    Utah

How very wonderful! I think it might be cross-section of an Ammonoid. Know they have lotsa those in Utah. If indeed it’s that, from Cretaceous period about 90 million yrs ago (give or take few hundred millennia....)
    Last edited by Cecilia; 09-24-2020, 11:30 AM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Horn coral

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, yep, another guess of mine!

Comment

I just pulled this up from https://geology.utah.gov/popular/pla...tooele-county/

“ Approximately 350 million years ago (Mississippian Period), warm, shallow seas rich with life covered most of Utah. West of Salt Lake City these waters deposited the limestone of the Deseret Formation exposed in the steep slopes of the Lakeside Mountains. Fossils found in this limestone include: crinoids or sea lilies, two-valved seashells called brachiopods, and colonial and solitary coral. Perhaps the most collected of these fossils is the now extinct solitary rugose coral which resemble a cow’s horn, thus the common name – horn coral.“
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Cecilia , Thank you for the hyperlink about fossils. I learned from it. I am new to this site , thanks for being friendly. Augmonic

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            I have lotsa books, pictures, sites, coz hardly have any artifacts! I have whole library about stuff never seen in real life!

Thanks for the info!
          Utah

Comment

Working...
          X