Bison Bison ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bison Bison ID

Hello, a large femur found on a river gravel bar in Southern Minnesota. I suspect bison but would like other's opinions. Sediments along the river valley range from cretaceous deposits to Wisconsin lobe glacial till from LGM. It is 48cm or about 19 inches in length.
    Attached Files

Bison for sure. I posted some diagnostics a while ago at this link:

Bone identification please - ArrowHeads.com

I noted you added pictures of this same bone at the end of that thread a year ago saying it WAS bison.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Originally posted by painshill View Post
      Bison for sure. I posted some diagnostics a while ago at this link:

Bone identification please - ArrowHeads.com

I noted you added pictures of this same bone at the end of that thread a year ago saying it WAS bison.
      Yea - I was/am fairly certain. But I am self taught. So its always nice if there's a accredited expert about who can add to the conversation. I donated it to the science museum of Minnesota. Eventually I'll have a 100% positive ID but I'm not expecting any result on that end soon. The paleontologist there is working on studying Minnesota fauna after the LGM and my buddy and I have donated a few things.

Comment

Working...
      X