Tooth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tooth?

Not sure if this is a tooth or not. I am an arrowhead hunter that is intrigued by fossils, but know very little!
    This was found in a ditch with a lot of glacial till in SW IL.. I passed on picking it up 2 previous trips out thinking it was a hag stone, but decided to bring it home after finding it yet again on the third trip.
    After doing some research, I learned there aren't many dinosaur fossils found in Illinois so I am not sure what to think? Maybe some type of coral? I have found horn coral before, but none that looks like this. Thoughts?

An old fossil hunters’ trick is to touch specimen to tongue to see if seems like wants to stick. Fossils supposedly are stickier than regular rocks (tho I think I’ve licked lotsa rocks and still been undecided!)

ps And, O, don’t ever pass on picking up a hag stone (rock with natural hole made by water), coz many cultures believe they are magical and ward off bad spirits!
    Last edited by Cecilia; 03-31-2021, 12:08 PM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I forgot to add that there is a lot of calcification? on the surface, as if it has been inside a limestone rock possibly?
      I had heard of sticking to the tongue trick before, but not sure if it would work with so much deposit still left on it?

Comment

Fossilization occurs when one mineral replaced by another. That calcification may be part of what would make it a fossil. Have a lick!
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
        X