Baby mastadon tooth??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby mastadon tooth??????

I found this in dredge spoils from the clam boats that work off the east coast of new jersey I have mammoth teeth. horse teeth but this looks similar to a mastadon only smaller in size I'm going to start searching the old bone I find from extinct species for evidence of tool marks. their had to be people on the continental shelf before it was. flooded. with dates like cactus hill and medowcroft their is no reason. for their not to be tons of. tools out their !!!!
    New Jersey

Baby teeth
    Click image for larger version

Name:	836B7524-1882-44AC-96E8-0EB9553AA96A.png
Views:	276
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	575781
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Baby Wooly Mammoth 🦣 Teeth!!
      Last edited by Cecilia; 08-12-2021, 05:55 AM.

Idk what it is, and wish I did, coz can sure tell how excited you are! I would be, too! Try take coupla more good shots with out wiggling camera all around, and I’ll go thru all my fossil books! Hey, if mastodon skull and stone knife > 15,000 yrs old dredged up from Chesapeake Bay, there’s more good stuff in nearby waters! (You got access spoils from any boats dredging Delaware Bay?!)

P.s. just found this pic of Exhibit in Philadelphia’s Academy of Natural Sciences, oldest natural history museum in North America, one Mammoth, two Mastodon teeth:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	A6D87F2F-1895-4A92-AF03-C6D97350924B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	27.2 KB ID:	575839
    Mammoth tooth, left, kinda reminds me bovid or cervid molar with flat, wave-patterned grinding surface to chew grass. Mastodon teeth so different, with surface of multiple cusps to chew tree branches. Pretty funky, huh…I love it!

Having now seen photographed examples, I gotta say I don’t think that sucker’s Mastodon tooth….. UNLESS maybe not tooth but piece of tusk ?!
    Last edited by Cecilia; 08-12-2021, 06:04 AM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      🤔 Hmmm, I did not know some of those interesting things, thanks Sis.

I saw a 9 inch long spear found this year from the Delaware bay I work on the oyster boats we find soapstone. spearpoints. I even saw a picture of a clay looking cachina type doll a guy found. none of. witch was dry land. before the younger drayas don't think ! but. the. of the coast extend 80 + miles that's a lot of land that is virtually unexplored for occupation so I'm pretty shut that they will find tons of evidence of people reaching this continent. thousands of year before the currently accepted dates man is a explorer if he would travel. miles into a cave move rocks the size of a bus their is no reason he could not cross an ocean. pretty sure we are still trying to defend a 250 year old agenda lol
    New Jersey

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      O, yes, I believe the first People got here however they could, as soon as they could —- multiple ways, multiple times. It’s our nature look to beyond horizon!
      Last edited by Cecilia; 08-12-2021, 09:14 AM.

Looks like a section of antler from a deer or other cervid.

Comment

piece of a tooth and a vertebra could be wallrus but not shure. they found one of the most complete mammoth skeletons ever about 15 miles from my house in mannington Salem co.nj
      New Jersey

Comment

I agree with Ftperry, original pic looks like antler. Nice verts, BHT!
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep yep yep yep…. one day gonna be old enuf on forum to just say “looks like xyz to me”….

Coastal waters off the Mid Atlantic extended 200 miles+ beyond our current shoreline. Prime mastodon country. Here in VA fossil mastodon bones were dredged up by scallop boats enough times that they were no longer considered unusual. So your region could certainly yield similar finds.
        Child of the tides

Comment

tooth
          Last edited by Bullheadtee; 08-12-2021, 06:58 PM.
          New Jersey

Comment

Working...
          X