"Clinker" fossil Palm Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Clinker" fossil Palm Colorado

My brother is a geologist and we have hunted/collected a few times out in Colorado where he lives. I think I found this somewhere along the Flat Irons outside of Boulder where there was an abandoned mine that had hit a burnt coal/fossilized layer that he called "Clinker". Neat piece. There was only mine tailings and not any more of this fossil I guess Palm. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200302_134317.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	579491Click image for larger version

Name:	20200302_134258.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	579492
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Beautiful...love it as is, but would also love it as big pointy thing..Oh well, can’t have both..cool to have a geologist brother.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

"Clinker is derived from shale, siltstone, and sandstone beds surrounding the burned coal seams. The term “clinker” comes from the “clink” sound made when the baked rocks are walked on or struck by a rock hammer. Taken out of the context of its outcrop, clinker eludes identification." I found a pic of what the mine tailings looked like. Clinker/Burnt coal seam. OK done with this lol Click image for larger version

Name:	19509346933_6e0e6552b6_b.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	524.3 KB
ID:	579524
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

When I was a young lad we burned coal for heat during the winter months. The parts of the coal that didn't burn were called clinkers.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Schweet piece man!
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Very cool Tom . Well that’s fun having your brother on the brain team hunting . The 2 of you together I just can’t imagine the conversation .

Comment

• tomclark
              tomclark commented
              Editing a comment
              I know, right!?!? But I have never got him to cross over into artifacts!!! ???!?!??? He's just not into them as much as his rocks. I'm cursed, am into everything LOL.

Now my brother was into everything . Think I’ll get a air plane boob commercial license to ham radio operator , to black belt to let’s go surfing the list goes on . He was my little buddie I miss him . at least you know everything about rocks and fossils with a great pal .

Comment

Working...
            X