Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creek find… plant or marine fossil of some type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creek find… plant or marine fossil of some type?

While creek hunting arrowheads I found this in Platte Co, Mo. anyone know if it is a plant or sea fossil of sort or a specific name? Found similar stone with shell fossils. Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Jackson County, Mo

It looks like a fossilized crinoid stem embedded in limestone. Crinoids were sea animals related to modern starfish and other such critters. They were passive filter feeders that fed on plankton about 200 million years ago.

Comment

Cool fossil...nice find
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Crinoid stem is a good call. I noticed the longer of the two sections tapers toward one end. For that reason, I’ll throw out another possibility: a straight cephalopod, a squid like creature with a shell that could be straight, or coiled….Not saying we should prefer this take, but the taper seen made me think of a segmented straight cephalopod shell….

fossils, Types of fossils, identifying fossils, fossil bone, age, collecting, Paleontological, Fossil Identification Key, map, data

Click image for larger version

Name:	EE4D35F7-EB31-4384-8205-EFAD0FD31C12.png
Views:	255
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	600329

Rhode Island

Comment

Thank you all! I appreciate it!
          Jackson County, Mo

Comment

Some Indians seemed to use them as beads . I find em in one shelter that I dig .

Comment

I believe the call of it being a Orthoceras Cephalopod is correct.
              SE IA

Comment

here in indiana and southern ill, we find lots of them. I remember people calling them indian beads

Comment

Working...
                X