Huge Ammonite? Any thoughts about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge Ammonite? Any thoughts about it?

I found these fossils a few years back in Hempstead county near the Little River in SW AR and im no fossil guy really but could not believe the size and quality of this Ammonite. Ive found many of them in the past and all being small and similar in size but this one was many times larger than any i had found or seen. After some research though i found that they actually are found much much bigger and some gigantic ones are found down in TX. So not really being anything super rare or special, its just a large ammonite. But i love it! And it means alot to me as a great find in my personal opinion. What do yall think? Are they commonly found that size? Or in this area? And the quality to seems remarkably great and not busted up or anything like alot of fossils are. I also included a pic of two others i found that day and in close proximity that i thought were decent finds too. Thank for any help and opinions!
    Attached Files

Always cool things to find.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Cool finds!
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Way cool!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Ive seen them sliced open and polished before as well. Which i think were all from Madagascar I wonder what or if anything could be done like that to mine? Id be some kind of upset if it were ruined trying to do something like that or it not even look nice or add value. Ive also collected larger pieces of petrified wood ive found and seen it cut and polished as well. How would you know if a piece would look good if done like that? Does it depend on what type of tree it was or maybe the minerals it was buried in and petrified it? Not familiar with that process at all

Comment

found a few by Brazos river near Lake Whitney, seen some really big ones 3 to 4 feet across near Waco under an old log cabin that we're layed down for foundation stones , wish I had a pic of that, don't forget stuff like that
            Attached Files
            2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

• PaleoSnow
              PaleoSnow commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome! Really cool. I like!

• LongStride
              LongStride commented
              Editing a comment
              the ones we find are turned to limestone, nothing to see when they're cracked or broken but more limestone

• PaleoSnow
              PaleoSnow commented
              Editing a comment
              Thats kind of what i was thinking would be the case with mine since there are alot of limestone hills in close proximity to where i found it. But im new to fossils and unsure of the process of fossilization

Hay Paleo S. Amazing I found two small ones yesterday! Just like the right one in Pict two. So if you get a good Lapidariest. And He or she does a very good job with cutting it, you won't lose anything. In fact you will gain. You will have two to admire. You can have the worst looking side polished leaving you with the other side to display beside it. Personally I would leave the side you have pictured alone, and polish the other side. Win Win!! Kim
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• PaleoSnow
              PaleoSnow commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks very much! Glad to know its an option now if i ever decide to have done. Its hard taking risks with precious one of a kind artifacts or fossils. I had to do that with one my favorite bird points recently. I had my jeweler make a mold and had it poured in 14k gold, but when i gave him the artifact he said he had never done one or anything that thin and it could break 😬😬. He said 60/40 chance. I slept on that a few days but ultimately decided to take the risk and now i have my bird point displayed and an exact replica gold pendant too that i never take off. So it all worked out! And get alot of comments on it too, from ppl who have found arrowheads as well as some who just admire its uniqueness i guess

Dang man you have to post that. I wanna see bird point in gold like inlay. K
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• PaleoSnow
              PaleoSnow commented
              Editing a comment
              Im posting it now. Dont guess i can add a picture to a comment it seems. But here it comes

Very cool and YES there are gigantic ones in west Texas

Comment

Nice fossils paleo
              Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Working...
              X