New Guy looks for Arrowheads, finds Fossil Rocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy looks for Arrowheads, finds Fossil Rocks

Title says it all. Complete novice but saw these in my tilled up field and they were clearly not normal rocks.

By the way, there's a lot of the white kind (this is the only one of the red I found though). If anyone wants some of these, I'd be happy to ship them to you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RedFossilRock.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	620566

Name:	WhiteFossilRock.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	620567

Welcome to our site KY. Looks like some coral fossils to me. Others will be by to better ID them for you. Kim from Pa.
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

very nice fossils I think it looks like corals too. Welcome to arrowheads.com
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

The first one is really cool, the second one looks like a pile of bones. I am not an expert.

Comment

Welcome from west central Florida...I’ll be honest..It doesn’t look like any coral I’ve ever seen but I’m always up for learning something new.It very cool.

are you finding it in Kentucky?
          Floridaboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Gorges View Post
            Welcome from west central Florida...I’ll be honest.. It doesn’t look like any coral I’ve ever seen but I’m always up for learning something new. It very cool.

are you finding it in Kentucky?
            Hi there, yes this was in the middle of KY near Lexington. The reason I thought it was coral is I've kept a lot of saltwater fish tanks in my life and this looks very much like the porous skeleton of a hard-coral "frag" you'd buy in a reef store. The whole rock is filled with appear to me to be fossilized tubes.

I did some research on when KY was under an ocean... and yeah that was like 50 million years ago. So if these are actually corals, they're pretty old. But I would agree, that also makes it seem somewhat unlikely. Whatever they are- they were buried at least a foot deep in the dirt and are encased in solid rock.

Name:	CoralFrag.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	620686

Comment

It does look like coral..Kentucky has fossil coral

Name:	F351EB5E-9EC4-4DED-8AF4-BE7AD9F82741.png
Views:	143
Size:	839.6 KB
ID:	620692
              Floridaboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Gorges View Post
                It does look like coral..Kentucky has fossil coral

Hal- given your screenshot I just went ahead and contacted the UK Geology department. Surprisingly they plan to come out *today* to collect samples. I'll post some more on what they find / why their interest... but I guess they liked something they saw since they're driving 45 mins to my property the same day I shared the images with them.

That said, it is a super nice Spring day... in fact, the nicest of the year so far. I bet that 100% has a factor in this. haha

Comment

Bryozoa!!
                  Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

• Hal Gorges
                    Hal Gorges commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Learn new word..That makes more sense..

• pkfrey
                    pkfrey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was just about ready to comment, Tom got it! Those are bryozoan branches and tubes. Several different species look like what you have, the Rhombopora, Leioclema, and the fan shaped Fenestella. Of course it's easier just to remember Bryozoa. !! Nice fossils!! Look for trilobites!!

Originally posted by tomclark View Post
                  Bryozoa!!

Yep, that's exactly what they said! I sent them some other images- and one rock had some long snake looking thing in it. And I think that's the one they were excited about.

Comment

Just to close this one out- the KY Geo Professor came and walked a portion of the land. As noted above, a ton of byrozoan fossils- and they collected a couple buckets of the mid-sized pieces with a lot of texture (around the size of small plates). They collect these to leave at local schools with teachers so that they have a fossil they can "show and tell" with and hand around the class for kids to touch.

They said there may be "rarer" stuff that pops up over time- we did find a football-size fossilized sponge and the thing I thought was a snake was actually a prehistoric snail trail (no joke!). So some ancient snail crawled through mud and left a trail and it fossilized. He took those two items as they were pretty neat.

So all in all, I'm glad to give away bits from the land to help kids get more interested in taking their eyes off their screens and looking at what's under their feet for a change.

Comment

Very cool.

Comment

Still a worthy find!!

Comment

Working...
                        X