Geometric Fossil ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geometric Fossil ID?

Hi there, found a lot of the Byrozoan fossils on my property but this one was clearly different and the only one I have seen like it. It's pretty zoomed in, the rock is only about 3". Any ideas what this may be?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2488.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	626049

I'm not an expert on fossils KY. I looked in my Audubon book and I think it's a Coral. Perhaps a Cribrilaria or a Fistulipora. Someone will be along to help you
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattern View Post
      I'm not an expert on fossils KY. I looked in my Audubon book and I think it's a Coral. Perhaps a Cribrilaria or a Fistulipora. Someone will be along to help you
      Thanks, I looked those up and I don't think this is one of those- BUT you helped me anyway because when I saw the Fistulipora I immediately recognized that from other fossils I see out here a lot. So thank you for that! They look just like this image (not whole, but all the parts there):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fistulipora_neglecta_fossil_bryozoan_(Silurian;_near_Waldron,_Indiana,_USA)_(15209549272).jpg
Views:	0
Size:	0
ID:	626064

Comment

Quick update, I know a guy in the Geo department at UK and he knew what this was- here's his response:

It’s a type of coral, called a tabulate coral, informally sometimes called “beehive” corals because of the honeycomb patterns.

Comment

Working...
        X