Fossilized mushroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fossilized mushroom

A gentleman brought this in to share with me today. Ive never seen anything like it. Solid as can be, almost a flint like *ting* when tapped with something. I didnt get any more pictures. But wanted to share and get some opinions.

Ganoderma?? Similar to "Reishi"
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Im lost on mushrooms. Morels are just about all i can identify for certain. I was just amazed that something as fragile and short lived as a mushroom was able to fossilize.

Comment

I agree Rockhound. I don't think that a Mushroom would keep any shape to be fossilized, their just to Fragile as you said. K
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Doing some research there are only 10 know mushroom fossils to exist on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fla.Hillbilly View Post
            Doing some research there are only 10 know mushroom fossils to exist on the planet.
            Thats what i had gathered as well. Which was why i was posting, either i got to handle something extremely rare or there is another explanation for this solid shroom.

Comment

Ganoderma LOL!
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

Originally posted by tomclark View Post
                Ganoderma LOL!
                Ahh, now i gotcha. The question marks in the original post threw me off. Thank you sir for the reply. I wouldve never known.

Comment

Working...
                X