Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found on Mississippi rivers edge... Tooth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found on Mississippi rivers edge... Tooth?

About the size of a thumbnail. Really stumped here!!!

It sure looks like the ceramics of a tooth with bone on the bottom Super. interesting. K
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Shell cracker out of a drum?

Comment

Yeah I looked at the drum cracker teeth and this isn't it as far as I can tell. I tried sturgeon too and no dice. Could it be fossilized at all?

Comment

Pretty close on drum teeth Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_pih1mcCzov1qhx4bqo1_1280.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	650627

Comment

Many differences, the most glaring being the size and shape of the tooth, if it is a tooth. Drum teeth appear to be flat with no ridges. The item in question is very pointed and and appears to have dental/molar ridges. It's also one large tooth while the drums appear to be groupings of much smaller teeth (smaller than a kernel of corn) on a plate.
            Last edited by Superdup; 08-16-2022, 02:16 PM.

Comment

I think it looks really toothlike, but might a piece of worn quartz pebble stuck in some matrix that eroded away.

Can we see a better picture of the bottom side/bone area?
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Absolutely. Also one is of the back side which appears to be where the tooth was split, looks like a root is visible

Comment

Yeah that looks toothy from the bottom.

Comment

Yup, certainly looks like a fossil tooth with the new pictures. Good picture of the enamel and dentin layers.

I wonder if you don't have a small fragment of a much larger Pleistocene tooth?

Maybe a Mastodon, Tapir or Peccary tooth ridge? Google some pictures, many are almost worn smooth, but teeth from younger animals or milk teeth can look like that and have thinner enamel layers.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Thanks, sounds like I have some homework to do. Will update if/when I find something out...

Comment

Working...
                      X