Field Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Find

Back in the spring I found this in a field that I hunt for artifacts. It was found here in Montgomery Co. Ohio in a field off the Great Miami River. I spent my time as a kid hunting fossils and taking classes at the local museum on them. Normally I have no problem identifying a fossil but this one has me stumped. I thought it might be a Bivalve or a fossilized seed of some sort. Everyone’s help would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s a couple more at different angles.

Comment

Abalone maybe
      New York

Comment

That looks more like an iron oxide concretion to me.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
          That looks more like an iron oxide concretion to me.
          After looking around at iron oxide it’s definitely a good option and at the spot I got this from I have found all sorts of artifacts and hematite. I got a small half of hematite that looks like the end of a spoon.
          Last edited by Gemcity; 08-23-2022, 03:33 PM.

Comment

I don’t know too much about oxide concentrations so maybe the type of stone it might be built around might affect the color of the buildup around it. But it still looks like a fossil to me. Maybe I will always be guessing.

Comment

Unless petrified avocado from my fridge, it’s beautiful concretion! Many concretions form round tiny creature or bit of foliage. I am jealous, and will try to help you figure out what you got!

This article maybe help:
              https://www.palaeontologyonline.com/...59259033203125
              Last edited by Cecilia; 08-23-2022, 06:12 PM.
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Originally posted by Cecilia View Post
                Unless petrified avocado from my fridge, it’s beautiful concretion! Many concretions form round tiny creature or bit of foliage. I am jealous, and will try to help you figure out what you got!

This article maybe help:
                https://www.palaeontologyonline.com/...59259033203125
                Fantastic article and thank you. It would be cool to get a CT Scan to help possibly solve the mystery of what it might be.

Comment

Here’s one I found in Hocking Co. Ohio. Here’s the post about it.
                  Found this fossil while on vacation in the Hocking Hills. We were heading down a trail to Rose Lake and it was sitting in the middle of the trail. Hocking

Comment

Your stone appears to be a concretion, the hematite developed around a matrix possibly an internal montage of tiny fossils.
                    It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                    It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                    Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
                    X