A Fossil Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fossil Display

Here's a simple display I made using a repurposed shadowbox. The specimens aren't the best but good enough of a representative grouping. I arranged them somewhat cohesively into groups of coral, brachiopods, a gastropod, some crinoids and some petrified wood bits. The display case had some ordinary looking decor inside it so I took the back off and tore all that out so all that was left was the backing board. I then decoupaged some canvas on the backing and then painted it black. I would have used black velvet for it's fine properties but I didn't have enough to cover the backing. The fossils were cleaned where needed and I coated them with PVA mixed with a bit of black acrylic paint. This gave them a little more luster and life and covered up any chalkiness to their look. I used the PVA to glue them to the backing board, too. They're solid. PVA is reversable so I can always remove them and soak them in water and they'll be as before. A note on the crinoid stems. I haphazardly arranged some of them to try to resemble what they might look like originally...so take that anatomical mimicry with a grain of salt. I found those tiny bits in clay that I dug near a river. I plan to assemble more displays like this of fossils and other finds. If you're looking to do something crafty try this and post your results. I'd like to see them.

Take care,

-Jarl

Interesting
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Jarl
      Jarl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

The display is great and looks professionally done.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Jarl
      Jarl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the compliment. I'm really just a novice.

I like it a lot. You did a great job! Museum quality display. πŸ‘πŸ‘
    South Carolina

Comment

• Jarl
      Jarl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I figured that's what I would want to see in my own dwelling...that is, something you might see in a museum. The challenge is to bring it to fruition making the best of what you have.

Good explanation, great display, congratulations πŸ‘πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Jarl
      Jarl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I appreciate the feedback.
Working...
X