Fossilized Tooth From What??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fossilized Tooth From What??

My co workers friend found this in North East Texas along the Red River and has asked me for help identifying it. Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, or knowledge of what pre historic giant this belonged to??
    Attached Files

Pretty sure its a prehistoric horse tooth.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Doesn't look fossilized. Either prehistoric horse or camel.

Comment

we find those mixed into gravel bars in central Texas, I used to think buffalo, now prehistoric horse is the consensus
        They have a glass tink tink sound if you tap on it, several of my finds split in two after a few years, maybe should have Elmer's them like sharks teeth
        2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

Looks big for a horse.

this is supposed to be a fossil horse tooth.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	672494
          Last edited by Charles Jones; 01-20-2023, 06:42 PM.
          Fayette County, southern Illinois

Comment

• PaleoSnow
            PaleoSnow commented
            Editing a comment
            My thoughts as well, but i know absolutely nothing about horses nor have i ever paid attention to their teeth.

Extinct horse forsure. Looks similar to ones I’ve found. Some are mineralized and almost fossil.

I put money on it the extinct horse. I’ve found several in north tx.

Comment

The Victorians made the mistake of lining all the horse fossils up by size, smallest on the left through to modern horses on the right, and assumed horse evolution also equalled a progressive increase in size. Unfortunately not but it's an image you see repeated. The path to the modern horse goes up and down, as does the modern horse.

Comment

Working...
            X