No announcement yet.

Calvert cliffs - is this a fossil claw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calvert cliffs - is this a fossil claw?

Took the little one to Calvert cliffs today and we found a couple fun fossils and rocks. I did find what I believe is a claw of some sort. Anyone know what this could be?
    Attached Files

shell

Comment

The one next to the quarter is part of a barnacle. The farther north towards Chesapeake Beach that you collect, the more shark teeth you'll find. You might want to stop by Trott's Farm stand (open in Spring) in Dunkirk on the way down or back, they have fossil molds in Miocene orthoquartzite, for cheap. Not sure how old your little one is, but the creeks north of 214 @ the Patuxent River in A.A. Co. have fossils too. Good luck.
      Coastal Plain of Maryland

Comment

• Dirtman
        Dirtman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, we’ll absolutely check that out. We have a few locations along the Chesapeake saved for future visits. Luckily we live within an hour of so many great areas to search, including the Patuxent. Thanks for the recommendations!

Yep, after about an hour staring at it, the wife and I were thinking sea shell. It’s hard to keep your wits about you knowing you’re next to cliffs with million year old fossils just waiting to be discovered.

The little one is almost 2 years old, so concentrating to find that needle in a haystack can be challenging. She did enjoy helping out.
      Attached Files

Comment

​Looks like you have many years ahead of fun, raising your upcoming scientist.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PHunphreysii2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	673782
        If you like scallop molds these occur in the creeks and along the river from Dunkirk southward.

Name:	HallCreekWMA2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	673783
        Look for a 2" thick buff colored ledge that my friend is pointing to, they tumble down to the water line. This spot isn't too far of a wagon pull to the beach.

Name:	AboPhumphreysii.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	673784
        A cool thing is the Aboriginals collected them too. The one above was found in an archaeological context. (photo Z. Singer)

Have fun, and if you get bored with the Miocene the Paleogene greensands have neater stuff. ​​
        Coastal Plain of Maryland

Comment

• Dirtman
          Dirtman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the recommendation! We will certainly be check that out.

Yes, we want to make sure our children appreciate the Earth - past, present and future. Away from screens and getting dirty and sandy instead.
      Working...
      X