Plant fossil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plant fossil

Found this fossil in a rock bar in the creek, couldn’t believe my eyes I tried to peel the fossil off the rock it was so detailed! Anyways, it seems to look like a long string of small leaves like maybe a fern? I’m not sure but if anyone has any ideas, it’s one of my favorite finds 😁

I love it..A perfect window into the past..What are the odds of finding such a perfect example without cracking a rock..👌🇺🇸
    Floridaboy.

Comment

The odds were just good enough! 🥳 but you’re right! And the creek even wore it smooth… I don’t think I’ll ever get that lucky again haha

Comment

Wow very cool find!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Love it, looks like a fern leaf got caught in a bubble of mud and then fossilized. 👍
          South Carolina

Comment

Nice fern fossil. Not an expert on Texas fossils, but I know there are terrestrial fossils, including plants, in the Permian period formations in Texas.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I thought it might be a fern myself. Whats interesting to me is this fossil was found in cummins creek in central texas, hundreds of miles from the Permian basin, but then again I guess it had ample time to travel my way 🤷🏻‍♂️

Comment

Beautiful preservation. The 'pinnulets' (individual frond leaflets) are attached directly to the central vein and in an alternating pattern, rather than being symmetrically paired. That would be consistent with a pecopterid, of which there were around 250-300 species that went extinct during the Permian period.

Pecopteris is a "form genus", used to group together plants that have similar anatomical features but whose exact taxonomic assignation is uncertain. Mostly they're associated with with the tree fern Psaronius plus occasional other possibilities.
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Bushman B
                  Bushman B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for your input! 😁
              Working...
              X