Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Palaeolithic Handaxe

Close, but no cigar !

Having failed to find anything of real interest at several new sites (that I had ear-marked for searching; see http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/g...angular-handax ) I was heading home when I decided on a detour to an established site; if only to check on its plough state.

The last time I visited this field it was coated in slurry…. so I was pleased to see it rough-ploughed. An hour later I was clutching this shattered handaxe. The type from this site are characterised as Acheulean thick-butted cordate handaxes. This find is clearly broken on the butt section and from the patination it was contemporary damage. I don’t think the large flakes were removed intentionally to create this form and so I think the damage resulted from flaws in the core which fractured when trying to thin the butt section (?). The tip is perfectly fine and it is possible that it was still used. The edge is fresh and there are a few modern (plough) dinks. It won’t be taking pride-of-place in my collection, but still a very pleasing and very old artefact.

Here it is alongside one I found at the same site in February this year, to show a comparison and what it should have come out like )

Comment

Working...
    X