Largest Neanderthal Flake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest Neanderthal Flake

Another recent find is my largest Neanderthal flake tool, a cutting blade of (IMO) exquisite beauty.
    This blade is considerably bigger than any I have seen coming from the Mousterian rich sites of France and is nothing like anything I have seen found in the UK......so I think it is pretty rare

The 1st photo shows the previous flake scars and the cutting edge/tip. When I first found it I went on to waste an hour searching for more of the tip, thinking it was originally pointed, but later when examined closely (with reading glasses on) I could see it was complete and as struck.
    N03 shows the bulb and also some of the retouch down the edges, to produce a slight seration

Hope you enjoy it :0)

Nice lookin tool.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Very nice Sunny. Can you post a good closeup of the edge work?
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

A great old blade - nice that it dodged the slings and arrows of time so well
        If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Hey Sunny - That's a pretty big blade. Nice piece and great find. ...Chuck
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

That is truly amazing.

Question... What are the indicators for your artifact being Neanderthal? I've been watching some great docs online re. Neanderthals and am fascinated by such.

Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Lo View Post
              That is truly amazing.

Question... What are the indicators for your artifact being Neanderthal? I've been watching some great docs online re. Neanderthals and am fascinated by such.

Thank you for sharing.
              The main proof is the context. I found this in the same undisturbed layer as a classic semi-triangular handaxe; which are an archetypal Neanderthal design. The same layer has produced some middle Palaeolithic handaxes too. But nothing earlier (Achulean) or later (Mesolithic).

I have discounted a thinning flake (from core reduction) to produce a handaxe for three reasons: firstly, the previous flake scars are consistently struck in one direction and are all very long, too long for standard core shaping. Secondly, the serrations of the edges would not have occurred if the flake was simply a core thinning flake (waste) or re-sharpening. Third, finally, long flake tools are a feature that took off in the latter part of the Middle to Upper Palaeolithic.
              The primary hominid species in northern Europe at that time was the Neanderthal

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
              Very nice Sunny. Can you post a good closeup of the edge work?
              2ndoldman I will take some and post them later

Comment

• Hi-Lo
                Hi-Lo commented
                Editing a comment
                That is truly fascinating.

Thank you for the response.

Originally posted by Sunny View Post

The main proof is the context. I found this in the same undisturbed layer as a classic semi-triangular handaxe; which are an archetypal Neanderthal design. The same layer has produced some middle Palaeolithic handaxes too. But nothing earlier (Achulean) or later (Mesolithic).

I have discounted a thinning flake (from core reduction) to produce a handaxe for three reasons: firstly, the previous flake scars are consistently struck in one direction and are all very long, too long for standard core shaping. Secondly, the serrations of the edges would not have occurred if the flake was simply a core thinning flake (waste) or re-sharpening. Third, finally, long flake tools are a feature that took off in the latter part of the Middle to Upper Palaeolithic.
              The primary hominid species in northern Europe at that time was the Neanderthal

2ndoldman I will take some and post them later
              Chaps,
              As promised, some close-up photos of the retouch, to create the serrated edge of the blade tool. I managed this with the macro lens for my iPhone 5, which does not fit the iPhone 6 I now have !!!!
              So I have ordered a new macro lens set from fleaBay and will try to get some better photos when it arrives...meanwhile:

Comment

Working...
              X