Upper Palaeolithic Knife and Handaxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Palaeolithic Knife and Handaxe

The first find I made on day one at the site was a very nice knife. It was made on a core flake and retouched to form the pointed tip. Happy days I thought...but the age was a mystery.

My first thoughts were based on the patination and style. Flint in my area is grey/black when fresh and then weathers variously to a dull grey (Neolithic) and grey-white (Mesolithic). Brilliant white or light brown are reserved for Palaeolithic time scales.

But there is always the soil acidity/alkalinity, localised geology and surface exposure to take into consideration; before patination alone can be given any weighting in discerning age/period.

If this knife were indeed Mesolithic then the patina was all wrong. But could it be that the local conditions (geology) had produced this anomaly ?
    However, if the patination was right and thus older then I had a bigger problem, the knife was made on a flake, which really only became a common method of fabrication in the late Upper Palaeolithic (UP) and is really characterised by the Mesolithic. So I had a real problem. I wanted it to be older (Palaeolithic), but how could I be convinced that it wasn't Mesolithic.

The next issue, even if it were UP then which species of hominid: Neanderthal or Early Modern Human (EMH) ?
    I am aware that EMH brought flake tools to Europe and the story goes that Neanderthals copied them with crude versions. How crude is open to debate, but it seems that EMH artefacts from Britain are on fine small blades. Neanderthal blades are usually bigger. I think this is a generalisation and the seriously low number of proven Neanderthal sites (in the UK) makes the statement difficult to categorically substantiate.

An hour later and the mystery was resolved....a handaxe (biface) from the same horizon, in the same brown patina flint. Handaxes are a tool that was used throughout the Palaeolithic and ended with the Neanderthals and not one attributed to EMH hunter gatherers.
    A handaxe - in isolation - could be attributed to any age from 500,000 years old to 60,000 .....Lower Palaeolithic (LP) through to UP. But flake knives of this design are not a feature of the LP or MP. They are a technology that becomes popular in the late UP.
    So together, the knife and handaxe complement each other, giving a compelling argument for an Upper Palaeolithic settlement; provided both are contemporaneous.
    So I had a Neanderthal handaxe and Neanderthal knife....what a brilliant day.

Later in the day I found a large scraper too which is a tool type that alters little in Britain from the UP to the Bronze Age. The small thumbnail ones tend to be Neolithic, but the large ovate ones are timeless.
    Finding it alongside the UP handaxe and knife is suggestive of an early date, but the patina was more of a grey/brown and thus potentially younger.
    The same field also gave up two small (dark grey) Mesolithic blades and masses of the brown coloured (UP) flakes and 6 core stones (in the same colour).
    The core stones are interesting in that the flake scars are all large flakes, not the typical small ones you see on Mesolithic/Neolithic cores.

When I found the handaxe I noticed the tip was gone and at first I imagined the plough had smashed it off. But with my reading glasses on and cleaning it at home I could see that it had in fact been subject to contemporary sharpening. The photos below show how the tip has been removed with flakes running into the axe from one facet (not tranchet flakes). It is possible that it was sharpened several times as the tip is much reduced.

Enough of my typing ...some pictures

Really nice finds there, Sunny. They both look like they've been well used. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion68 View Post
      Really nice finds there, Sunny. They both look like they've been well used. ...Chuck

Certainly the handaxe has been heavily used Chuck. The resharpening of the tip has reduced it quite considerably, so it has likely been sharpened more than once. The photos I posted have come out with the artefact on its side, so the sharpened tip is on the left of the picture.

To show how much has likely gone I have modified a picture to show the projected lines, from a side view. The red line would have been the cutting edge and would have been wavey.

The other noticeable thing about this handaxe is the sharpness of the base area. Most often these were made blunt to handle, but this is still sharp to touch. It is likely very late in Neanderthal existence in Britain and I understand they had adopted flake tools, so handaxe perfection was probably a lost art form :-)

Comment

That's a lot but in the overall size of it, it's probably a relative issue. That handaxe was probably heavily used and considered a valuable tool so reuse was essential. Good pic showing missing tip. ...Chuck
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Do you ever find imported flint or does it all seem local? Just curious if those guys stayed local or moved around seasonally when the Channel was dry land.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Originally posted by clovisoid View Post
            Do you ever find imported flint or does it all seem local? Just curious if those guys stayed local or moved around seasonally when the Channel was dry land.
            Hi Clovisoid,
            I don't know where they sourced this particular flint. The brown colour is fairly unusual, or at least it is not common to this region of Britain.
            Flint colouration is caused by many processes and I can often distinguish my local flint according to the patination. Brown flints are associated with stain from peaty soils. Where I found the object there was certainly no peat, we are on chalk downland.
            It is possible that there was a period in the history of the area nearby or the site itself was covered in peat (before or after the tools were created). That peat could subsequently have been eroded away by the next change in climate (the next ice phase).
            Most of my flint finds are grey (young) to white (much older), depending on the period of surface exposure and age (Palaeolithic to Neolithic). Flint handaxes eroded out into ancient paleo river gravels were exposed to high levels of iron oxide and they go a distinctive brown colour; which is markedly different to that of the knife shown above.

The natural rock in this region is chalk with abundant high quality flint, very easily acquired on the surface, in rivers and coastal cliffs. These hunter gatherers were certainly mobile and most find sites that have been excavated have proven to be butchery sites, with flint sourced in and around the site. Several such sites have been discovered and there are both waste flakes, cores, handaxes and blanks left in situ, next to large mammal bones....even palaeo elephants.

The English Channel was dry during every ice age, with a large river running through its centre, out to the Western Approaches (south of Ireland). The chalk downland that now forms the White Cliffs of Dover was not breached until the end of the last ice age.....so prior to that hominid species had been able to walk to Britain during each and every interglacial. So we were populated and abandoned (to the ice) many many times.

Hope that gives a bit more of the history and rarity of this knife

Comment

Working...
            X