UK Microlith Mesolithic Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Microlith Mesolithic Find

My best find from this weekend's field walking trip. A tiny 15mm long point, probably meant to be part of a fish spear.

Despite the tiny size of the implement, the workmanship is exquisite. I counted no less than 15 retouch removals along the back edge!
    Attached Files

Would like some more pics
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

Laser - welcome aboard our website. Glad to have ya here. That's an interesting artifact and it's gonna be more interesting to see the replies. Thanks for sharing Laser.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

That thing is teeny tiny. I like it, and I'm impressed with your superman-like vision.🤓
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro355 View Post
          That thing is teeny tiny. I like it, and I'm impressed with your superman-like vision.🤓
          Yes - the very small 'microliths' are hard to spot, I have been been known to get on my hands and knees if I suspect there is a concentration of finds!

On the plus side, the patination of these circa 8000 year old flints means they have generally turned light grey or white. On this particular site (on top of a forrested sandstone hill) there are no natuaral flints or other stones. This means almost every stone or rock up there could be an artifact- so far I have mapped 50+ artifacts up there. At the moment though I'm in a battle with the falling leaves of Autumn covering the ground. Soon it will be time to move to open field sites.

On the other hand some other sites in the river valley below are littered with natural flints- which makes spotting the small flakes and blades a complete nightmare!

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            That's cool.👍
            What part of the U.K. Are you in?

Originally posted by Jethro355 View Post

Jethro355 commented
          Today, 07:01 AM

That's cool.👍
          What part of the U.K. Are you in?
          Warwickshire.

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            Right smack dab in the middle of everything, aren't you?

Originally posted by G10+ View Post
          Would like some more pics
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0454_1200.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	910.7 KB
ID:	264669 The microlithic tool pictured beside what I would normally call a 'small' scraper tool (found nearby but probably Neolithic in age and several thousand years 'younger')

Comment

Nice finds. Welcome to the forum.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Welcome and thanks for sharing. I like the lithic on that larger scraper.
              South Dakota

Comment

Hello and Welcome. Lovin that larger piece. Thats the sort of thing i`d love to find...there is No question about it being worked, unlike some of the stuff i tend to bring home. Good Luck Hunting. BTW i`m in the UK too
                If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Comment

Great microlith ...and nicely retouched too

The larger flint artefact is I think a planoconvex knife and as you say Neolithic. Typically made on a prepared core, similar to Levallois technique ...and a beauty at that !!!

Comment

Working...
                  X