Not great finds, but encouraging....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not great finds, but encouraging....

As per the subject I have been investigating new areas at the weekend but not turning up anything too spectacular. Just traces of occupation that will encourage me to keep looking in these areas.

Group of non-descript scrapers with varying amounts of edge re-touch and use wear. Poorly made flint tools are sometimes thought to Bronze Age in date due to the skills being slowly lost.

Enlarge this image Click to see fullsize

Group of burned flints from same area.

A thinning waste flake from the same spot.

Moving on to another site along the river Avon i picked up a few more 'bits'.

A long cortex flake, may have been used as a scraper as there is a uniform fine re-touch or wear mark along the straight edge. Nice obvious bulb of percussion too!

A large waste flake sharp enough to have been a cutting blade. Begining to develop the white patina of age suggesting an early Neolithic date.

Another piece of worked flint but heat affected. I find a lot of these burned flakes. I wonder if it was standard practice to chuck sharp flint waste into the fire? Less chance of treading on it there!

Finally a fragment of a Mesolithic date microlith blade from the same riverside site. Close examination of this piece shows it has been tumbling round in the plough soil a fair time, some of the edges are quite rounded.

Last edited by laser_jock99; 09-18-2017, 03:53 PM.

I would say that the waste flakes are a real good sign that you are hunting a good spot. Good luck: I hope you find some nice artifacts there.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Should be finding artifacts there soon.
      South Dakota

Comment

Nice finds. Great photos. What kind of camera are you using?

Comment

Beautiful pics

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Lo View Post
            Nice finds. Great photos. What kind of camera are you using?
            An old Canon G9- has a nice quality macro lens.

Comment

Some interesting looking flake knives/tools. Hopefully your searches will turn up more artifacts.

Comment

Working...
              X