Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Field That Keeps Giving.

More finds this weekend from the same field I looked at last week:

As per the subject I have been investigating new areas at the weekend but not turning up anything too spectacular. Just traces of occupation that will encourage me

This time the farmer had helpfully de-foliated the potatoe crop making spotting flint artifacts much easier. All the finds are of Neolithic age ~5000 BP and as usual will be reported to the UK Portable Antiquities Scheme. Pictures of the three best finds

Quite pleased with this long blade. I'd like to think the maker deliberately picked the strippey flint to make a nice looking blade?

This grey flint blade looks almost scalpel like. I can only assume it was used for butchery of small animals?

Finaly a typical round ended scraper in pale flint with nice retouch. These seem to be a common tool type in this area.

Very nice finds indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

All three are fantastic finds. That is a gorgeous lithic on the first one and the blade style in the second is spectacular.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Nice finds thank for sharing these with us.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Your getting some blinding finds mate....not jealous at all (tears down my face) well done you and thanks for posting
          If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Comment

That stripey one is Damascus.

🤓👍
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Those are very cool
              South Dakota

Comment

Nice blades. - in good condition too. Well done on saving them from the plough

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny View Post
                  Nice blades. - in good condition too. Well done on saving them from the plough
                  Every time these fields are ploughed the artifacts get more broken up- I have seen in some of your previous posts how you re-assembled some hand axes from the shattered bits. On the other hand ploughing is the very process that brings these artifacts to light. Something of a double edged sword! Only one of my serach areas has never been ploughed (top of a sandstone outcrop). The items I pick up here are as a sharp as the day they were droped (even the 8000 y/o Mesolithic blades). The downside is we have to wait for natural processes- tree falls, animal digging or errosion to bring them to the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99 View Post

Every time these fields are ploughed the artifacts get more broken up- I have seen in some of your previous posts how you re-assembled some hand axes from the shattered bits. On the other hand ploughing is the very process that brings these artifacts to light. Something of a double edged sword! Only one of my serach areas has never been ploughed (top of a sandstone outcrop). The items I pick up here are as a sharp as the day they were droped (even the 8000 y/o Mesolithic blades). The downside is we have to wait for natural processes- tree falls, animal digging or errosion to bring them to the surface.
                    Totally agree on the ploughing...without them we would rarely see flints getting to the surface.

I like your collecting skills....searching tree falls and animal burrows.....I have had some great finds doing just that; thinking about every chance to see what is beneath the ground.

I have done a few reconstructions now, but mostly when I find fragments I cannot get permission to go digging out an area or the pieces are so scattered it is impossible. You have to 'take the rough with the smooth' as the saying goes.
                    Well, looking forward to your next finds & post

Comment

Working...
                    X