Finds From The Saxon Mill Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finds From The Saxon Mill Field

Some artifacts from last weekend at one of our regular search sites- The Saxon Mill, Warwickshire.

These are all Neolithic in age so maybe about 5000 years old, although a lot of older Mesolithic material has been found in the same area. One archeological dig before a new highway was put in, turned up over 5000 worked flints!! The largest Mesolithic assemblage in the Midlands of England.

I thought this was just debitage- but closer inspection revealed an area of fine retouch on the curved part of this scraper tool.

I picked up a lot burned flints- this blade fragment has been thrown in the camp fire.

Possibly the best find of the day- a lovely thin blade.

This curious lump of flint had a double life I think. The remaining core clearly has blades struck off it- but the other end is shattered by many blows. So perhaps used as a hammerstone at point? A more 'imaginatvie' collector friend thought it was an attempt to sculpt a phallus!

Two bone or antler fragments - sadly these don't survive well in this soil so no idea what they might have been.

Finally, what might be a broken or part finished/abandoned arrow head- any opinions please?

It does look like a little edge work on the curve of that first flake, although a little hard to see. I like that pale yellow blade. Looks like they used blade core technology to make it. The last one looks like a waste flake to me. Thanks for sharing. I agree on your best find of the day. Its nice
    South Dakota

Comment

Interesting finds, unfortunately I'm of little help with your artifacts. Does look like a promising site your on. Thanks for sharing!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

That opaque blade is nice!!
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I would suggest the last piece is debitage; the remains of a snapped off blade....what are sometimes called microburins if used as a secondary tool. I think the resemblance to a point is just coincidental

love to complete blade, along with everyone else.
          the wasted core certainly seems to have been reused as a hammer stone.... not sure what Sigmund Freud would make of your friends conclusion 😀

Comment

Working...
          X