A Mousterian Biface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Mousterian Biface

It has been a while since I posted much on the forum...I do apologise.

This is a rather unusual rectangular shaped handaxe, a biface, not to be confused with a hafted axe or what you guys would call a celt.

This around 60,000 years old, Neanderthal technology from the late Middle Palaeolithic. I found it a few weeks ago on a Mousterian site that is dominated by Levallois products.
    The biface has been created from a Levallois flake; with the traces of the bulb remaining in the first marked-up photo.

In the second marked up photo you can see the primary centripetal flaking which occurred before the flake was detached from the core (red coloured arrows).
    Once removed from the core, the Levallois product was then further shaped (secondary flaking) on both the ventral and dorsal faces (green arrows). The area circled in blue is the remains of the rise that was created by the centripetal primary flaking.

Awesome piece!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Wow, that's super. Can't imagine being able to find stuff that old, and Neanderthal.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Nice find- Paleolithic artifacts are a rarity in my location (Warwickshire) being mostly obliterated by the last ice age.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99 View Post
          Nice find- Paleolithic artifacts are a rarity in my location (Warwickshire) being mostly obliterated by the last ice age.
          Hampshire was (fortunately for me) 50-60 miles south of the ice sheet so we escaped being wiped clean each glaciation. But they are still rare finds; with UK Mousterian being rocking horse teeth :-)

Comment

I just saw this and cannot imagine that time period surviving or anything even being left to find . Just fascinating !

Comment

Thanks for sharing this, and glad you came back!
              South Dakota

Comment

Beautiful artifact! Thanks for sharing!
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Super cool artifact!!!

Von

Comment

Working...
                  X