Rock Crystal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Crystal

i remember posting about this remarkable find at the time of its discovery. But some may have missed it, and I did not see the handle for the big dagger at the time. All worth a second look...

Keep up to date with fascinating stories such as this one by liking The Daily Grail’s Facebook page, and following us on Twitter. Even in modern times we are fascinated by crystals – from the diamonds we use as a sacred symbol of partnership, to the plethora of ‘healing’ gems that can be found in a New Age gift shop. So we can only imagine how ancient people viewed these transparent rocks with hidden structure. Evidence of the esteem in […]

Bell Beaker, Beaker Folk, Glockenbecherkultur, Culture Campaniforme, Cultura del vaso campaniforme, Klokbekercultuur, Kultura pucharow dzwonowatych

Click image for larger version

Name:	5FB82A04-C19F-4CC1-891C-B0DA2AD48508-5808-0000044D918F48D2.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	311552

Name:	IMG_1072.PNG
Views:	109
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	311553

Name:	644BE663-80BF-4D7F-AFD1-3AF3928D2E76-5808-0000044EA1DAF33F.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	311554

Rhode Island

That is truly a work of art... do you have any crystal quart points like that Charlie? I’ve found bits and pieces of stuff that would’ve been incredible but nothing even remotely this perfect
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Not like that! Some small stems and triangles...

Did you find that Charlie

Comment

Ok saw the link weeww that threw me off in awe

Comment

That's one outrageous artifact! I wonder if the lg. crystal was 'thinned' to the proper thickness by grinding before the edge work was done. Was probably an arduous task..
        If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          Good question, Don. It seems possible looking at it.

• Olden
          Olden commented
          Editing a comment
          Apparently this royal person was treated like a god - I guess no task was too great, as long as you had plenty of minions to do the work (as is the time honored tradition) Interesting links Charlie: I did miss it the first time around. Thanks for the repost!

Interesting reading Charlie. I can't even begin to imagine how hard that crystal quartz would have been to knap and how long it would have taken. Like Olden says "arduous task." I noticed that only the outer blade edges are worked while the medial area is opaque. Is that why Olden was suggesting thinning by grinding. Beautiful work. Thanks for the repost Charlie - very informative.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Olden
          Olden commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Chuck, being that a quartz crystal is six sided, it would put them in the 'hunky' dept. - not a knapper, but how else would one go about reducing such a lithic without damage? Maybe someone here can better explain to both of us..

I did not read the full ResearchGate article, available at the Daily Grail link. So I don't know if the dagger was produced from an actual crystal, or from a large chunk of crystalline quartz. Quartz occurs as veins within other rocks, and not just as crystals, but I too am not a knapper, nor a geologist, nor an authority on quartz.
        Rhode Island

Comment

I was equally impressed by the group of smaller points...I don’t know the type, but they were all the same...and phenomenal.
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

All very interesting, the Dagger is astounding! The 25 grave occupants (possible all female?!?) Is mind bogglingly creepy! Looks like this prince might gave been a little -no, lot on the spoiled side... The arrow points are interesting and remind me of those from Marden Henge. Those Neolithic/ copper age knappers were skilled!! Like something out of "Lord of the Rings" or a fantasy sci fi video game... Wow!

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thanks for showing what a beautiful artifact . You would need a large crystal like this one from Tilly's Hill to start with .

Comment

I would have kicked the bucket if I found something like that.
                  "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
                  X