Alien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien

Obviously a fossil but i cant tell if if was broken in prehistoric times. it does seem to have some sustained damage on one end.
    Attached Files
    If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

LBM - IMO the patina on the surface of that broken area is very close in color with the outer surface, which makes me think it was a prehistoric break. Nice fossil.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• LucasBMylks
      LucasBMylks commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey thanks for the input. It isnt easy to see as i dont clean em up anymore, but i`d be more happy to agree with you. Strange thing is the edges are still sharp! so that kinda had me a bit worried it was new. In the last picture you can see the damage on the bottom edge, so i think the break makes a nice thumb hold on it in the concave area of the break. To wonder what the ancients must have thought about (if it has us a bit puzzled now).
      Thanks Again Mate

Is it a fossil starfish ? Looks like one to me... JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• LucasBMylks
      LucasBMylks commented
      Editing a comment
      I dont know what kind of fossil it is......hopefully someone here will know

That is a fossil echinoid, aka a sea urchin. Nice find. Below is a British site, but the information will still apply here:

Edit: sorry, I forgot you are from Great Britain, so the above link will be spot on!
    Last edited by CMD; 12-16-2018, 10:46 AM.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• LucasBMylks
      LucasBMylks commented
      Editing a comment
      Get in There! Cheers my man. I was really hoping someone could tell me. I have tried looking up other fossils but i get lost on the Net. Thanks Dood. I`m gonna check your link now.

• LucasBMylks
      LucasBMylks commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool....great link. love you people. I was along the road with JJ....it did look like a starfish `draped` over a rock and i thought `that cant be right`. but looking at the pics on that website wow SNAP.

Cheers once again Chuck

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome, my man! Fossils were my first love.
Working...
X