A Mayan Pottery Cache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Mayan Pottery Cache

Here is a cache of pottery that I dug many, many years ago when it was legal to do so in Guatemala. These came from a small modern Mayan village that was probably not much different back in the Mayan times. (People still living, farming, and speaking a Mayan language.)

This is the lid to the bowl, a cute painted face.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1006.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	353827

Here is a better view of the face, eyes in the red, nose and mouth, ears off to the side.

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	353830

Lid off, there was a bowl inside.

Name:	IMG_1008.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	353823

And a little plain bowl inside that.

Name:	IMG_1009.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	353824

The bottom plate was plain ware.

Name:	IMG_1010.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	353828

Years ago at a show I showed Roy Hathcock pictures of these and he was amazed at the similarities to some of the Mississippian Quapaw pottery.

Here is a sort of similar head pot that was found in the US many years ago.

Name:	Quapaw.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	353829

Attached Files
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Pretty amazing and beautiful. What were the site conditions like?
    The similarities in so much of the pieces found makes you wonder how extensive communication was between North and South.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

That had to be Amazing, Great Find's!
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Very interesting! I’m happy you were able to go on such a dig. There must be millions of artifacts in S America . The people must have been very stable with time to create so many beautiful objects! So many wondrous things we may never be able to admire ....
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Amazing artifacts
          South Dakota

Comment

Just wonderful . What do you date those at ?

Comment

These are beautiful .I used to travel quite a lot to Guatemala and other Central American countries for work .I've been to Tikal in GU And to a few other Mayan sites. They are amazing places to visit .I read numerous documents about the Mayan culture . I did go to another site in GU but the name eludes me at the moment . It must have been quite the experience to be able to search for artifacts in those countries . I guess it was my experiences in those sites that started my interest in NA history.
              South Carolina

Comment

• Tam
                Tam commented
                Editing a comment
                Josie are you thinking Incas ?

• Josie
                Josie commented
                Editing a comment
                No definitely Mayans. There were some great sites to be seen but not the safest environment.

Originally posted by Tam View Post
              Just wonderful . What do you date those at ?
              These are probably late Post Classic stuff, probably after the collapse of a lot of the big Mayan city/states. Say 1300 to 1500.

I also found a lot of the stemmed macroblades in the same area which tend to be earlier, so they might be earlier. Really ornate Mayan pottery is quite easy to age because they often literally have a date or event written into the glyphs, but "illiterate" common pottery is harder to pin down.

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	354906
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

This is just great thank you .

Comment

That headpot come from SE Missouri?

I’ve seen thousands of pieces of Quapaw pottery and a select few Anasazi and Mayan pieces that belong to a friend of mine who is a collector, and while the Quapaw stuff is great and where my heart is, that Mayan stuff is next-level amazing. So much of it looks like it was thrown on a wheel, it’s near perfect.

also, that blade collection...😮😳😳... love those..eccentrics, I think they would be called? The ones in the middle, right side?
                  Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
                  X