Unusual archery set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual archery set

I know you all love a mystery, so here’s a little teaser for you. Maybe you saw my ‘re-arrival’ post indicating I’ve been in southern Africa, so here’s something I picked up on those travels.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bushman bow.JPG Views:	1 Size:	106.9 KB ID:	395036 Click image for larger version  Name:	Arrows.JPG Views:	1 Size:	63.5 KB ID:	395037 Click image for larger version  Name:	Points.JPG Views:	1 Size:	169.6 KB ID:	395038 Click image for larger version  Name:	Quiver.JPG Views:	1 Size:	307.4 KB ID:	395039

Bushman bow. Typical construction. Arrows in different lengths, which is not completely usual. Reed-stem shafts without flights. Nothing unusual in that. Forged iron points bound with sinew, so that tells you it’s not ancient. Quiver made from stitched eland hide and decorated with beads made from ostrich eggshell fragments.

But all is not as it seems. You’ll need highly attuned skills to tell what it is about this archery set that makes it unusual… unless you happen to be familiar with what it actually is.

Roll up and try your skill.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

What attaches the points to the shafts? It looks like the binding, or whatever it is, is tied distinctly below the end each of each point.

Comment

• painshill
      painshill commented
      Editing a comment
      They have longer stems than you can see and are pushed into the reeds, which are hollow. The sinew binding just tightens up the arrangement with a bit of compression and stops the reed from splitting on impact. That's all perfectly normal.

Cool ...the points look like wood to me
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• painshill
      painshill commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely iron, but not cast. A mixture of cutting and forge-hammering has given them that shape. Probably made from found scrap iron.

the points stay in the pray while the shafts fall free
    Wyoming

Comment

• painshill
      painshill commented
      Editing a comment
      The sinew binding is supposed to stop that happening. But here's a small clue. The configuration of the set is specifically designed to ensure that the arrows are not lethal. In fact they're supposed to do only minimal damage.

From that last clue, you might conclude that it's designed for ritual use, and not for hunting. You'd be right.

Look more closely at the relative dimensions and proportionality of the various components.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Is it meant for an inexperience child? Who might still be learning and somewhat dangerous with a fully functioning set? The back notches seem to be missing but admittedly I'm not familiar with this set.
      Central Ohio

Comment

• painshill
        painshill commented
        Editing a comment
        The arrows have the usual notching for the bowstring.

I was going to say made for pygmys but not sure
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Don,t the bushman use a slow acting poison on their arrows?
        Wyoming

Comment

• painshill
          painshill commented
          Editing a comment
          Indeed they do, made from the larvae and pupae of the leaf beetle Diamphidia, but they definitely wouldn't use that on these arrows.

You're getting closer flintguy. It's very much 'child-sized' but intended for adult use. The clues were in the proportionality of the components. For example look at the thickness of the bowstring relative to the thickness of the bow. The stitching thread on the quiver is huge compared to the quiver itself. If that were a full-size set then the beads on the quiver would also be improbably huge. So, here it is... but what's it for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Archery set.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	395068

Comment

are the arrows used for blood letting from a cow?

Comment

• painshill
            painshill commented
            Editing a comment
            No... they're shot at people, who would be hugely insulted by any suggestion that the intended target was a cow!

wow that is so small
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Second attempt...used with a burial doll effigy?
            Central Ohio

Comment

• painshill
              painshill commented
              Editing a comment
              No. Intended to be shot at a person, but with no intention of creating any significant harm. Quite the opposite in fact. Intended to signal a degree of affection.

• Hoss
              Hoss commented
              Editing a comment
              Like in cupid?

Hmm very interesting teeny bow. I was duped entirely by the size. By your last clue I'm guessing a mate picking ritual like a diy Cupid kit lol? But I really would have never got to that idea with some serious prodding along lol. I'm waiting intently for the reveal.
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Hoss
              Hoss commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I thought it was small from the photos but not as small as seen in hand. Pretty cool mini if you ask me.

• Kyflintguy
              Kyflintguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah the detail is amazing, it's even backed at the center and ends appears. I was thinking 3ft max length and bloodletting cows too.

OK… what we have here is a Bushman “love bow”. The term ‘Bushman’ has nothing to do with living in the bush incidentally. It’s a corruption of the Dutch word ‘bossieman’, which means ‘bandit’ or ‘outlaw’ and reflects the opinion that early settlers in the Cape region had of these people. They saw it differently and regarded it as a mark of respect for their fight against colonisation, but it’s now regarded as derogatory.

This set is from the San people of Namibia. The ritual they have is that a young man who wishes to take a wife shoots an arrow into a prospective partner. Usually into the bare thigh. The different arrow lengths are intended to allow different strengths of draw to accommodate – how can we put this – variations in ‘robustness’ of the target. The protocol is that if the lady concerned is amenable to the union, she pulls the arrow out and holds it to her heart. If she pulls it out and throws it over her shoulder, then she’s rejecting the advance.

It’s pre-WWII but not tremendously old. Perhaps from early to mid 1900s.

Comment

Hmm, are the points dipped into any chemical “inducements”?
              Child of the tides

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                Lindenmeier-Man commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL
                Don’t try this at home folks, even if you’ve got a Cupid costume for Halloween ! Might cause a real injury on your Gord !!!

• Olden
                Olden commented
                Editing a comment
                Perhaps just a pilum may have been used, in order to first get her to let her defenses down? Those were some tough ladies!

• Lindenmeier-Man
                Lindenmeier-Man commented
                Editing a comment
                Dang Olden ! Stick with the flowers guys !
                Haven
                I’m kind of interested in why you’d be interested if there were some sort of chemical inducement being used !?!?
            Working...
            X