No announcement yet.

Unusual archery set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you would have put something in the first photos for relative size, and now seeing how small these all are, I would have been wrong, but I would have guessed these were a ritual present to the father of a young woman who has smitten the heart of a neighboring Bushman, and wanted her hand in marriage. But then again, the father probably would rather have the cow!! In the civilized world, you do not shoot the woman you love!!
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

In the modern tradition, I understand that these bows are still in use but in a token way that's just a nod to the past. Points are less sharp, may be made of wood and expected to bounce off rather than penetrate. The desired bride probably already knows who has the hots for her but may be surprised by a shot to the derriere when she's not expecting it. They mostly now just see it as a bit of fun, although it obviously wouldn't be politically correct in other societies. Treatment of the points with any kind of drug preparation was never part of the ritual and, in any case, the nature of the ritual was that the suitor got an instant answer.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• pkfrey
        pkfrey commented
        Editing a comment
        I got shot in the butt one time when I was squirrel hunting, I was maybe 15. And it wasn't an arrow. We all called it an accident, but now I wonder, did someone want me? So bad they had to use a couple shotgun pellets? Geez, all they had to do was ask!

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol

Really interesting thread, learned a lot. Wonder if that is where the cupid thing derived ?
      SE IA

Comment

That is pretty cool!
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Interesting and educational as always.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

You know I am loving this . Went to East Africa and it was all about what poachers got .
            just love this post .

Comment

Working...
            X