A little Tropical Paleo & a Funky Grasshopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little Tropical Paleo & a Funky Grasshopper

I continue to organize old pictures from Photobucket, and this is a poorly focused picture of my best friends on my tropical fluted point site.

Click image for larger version

Name:	grasshopper1.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	430334

These guys hatch a couple of weeks after the seasonal rains start and when the timing is just right, they eat all brown leaves on the ground. That lets a bit of erosion happen, and also lets other plant seeds sprout.

They are big, slow and apparently taste really bad because nothing eats them. (In the desert there is always something that will eat anything.)

I found a better picture of one not in hand, as well as a couple of pictures of what you see at a fluted point workshop. The one in hand is a "bull" or really robust grasshopper. This guy was a bit more delicate, the folds in his neck aren't as big.

Name:	grasshopper.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	430336

Name:	Clovis1.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	430337 Click image for larger version

Name:	Clovis.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	430335
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Side note, I can't be the only person out here who notices how old his/her hands look compared to old pictures... Not many hobbies generate as many pictures of your hands for as many years.

Comment

Those things are huge! Do they spit tobacco? That's what we would call the brown juice they would spit on you when in hand.
      Yeah, typically try to guess a persons age by looking at them, on these forums it's obvious who the old timers like myself are.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	430348
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

• Wildman of the navidad
          Wildman of the navidad commented
          Editing a comment
          We called them prehistorics when we were kids they get big

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          As much as I am outdoors have lizards hanging from my fingers from the cat bringing them in Grasshoppers full disclosure here freak me out . They have those barbs and if you pick them up wrong ahhh
          Think I have to just roast one and get ovef it .

Nope, these are not spitters. They do have these nasty looking jaws, and spikey legs so I always grab them like this.

But I do remember the tobacco juice ones from Indiana (we'd fish with them growing up.)

Comment

So, Funky Grasshopper clears the ground of cover, and you grab the paleos - symbiosis at it's finest!!

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• clovisoid
            clovisoid commented
            Editing a comment
            I take all the help I can get!

• Olden
            Olden commented
            Editing a comment
            Nature's little Lidars Pretty cool to find a paleo workshop - where is it that this took place?

thanks for the belly laughs this morning,,,it does this old hand good,,
          Floridaboy.

Comment

On the side note issue : And I hope I don’t get in trouble with Hoss/ Greg. I’ve had two big hunks cut out of the back of my right hand, ( Skin Cancers) and one day at church I was telling a good friend ( Brother ) while the stitches were still in the the back of my hand, that I couldn’t close the hand. Little did I know that my wife had walked up behind me. I told him that I was worried that my love life was over. He broke over laughing ! Well , to make a bad story worse, when we got into the car to leave, my wife’s first words were, “ If you EVER !” Anyway, to this day, I don’t have a rear end....! Click image for larger version

Name:	E89905F4-3C7B-4EF2-8F35-D1C627A4E7A5.jpeg
Views:	432
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	430413
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Lindenmeier-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m happy about that ! The dermatologist said the Basel cell cancers were my fault too...He said quit driving with your hand at the twelve o clock position ! He said the curvature of the windshield magnified the UV light . Drive with hands at ten & two o clock positions. Somehow I missed that part long ago in the drivers study manual.......

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              I remember those monster hoppers from Texas. Don’t they kinda fly? Some of your best friends, huh Clovis? Guess I wasn’t little off when tied string ‘round first pet praying mantis’ neck like leash, and fed it milk from spoon.....

I love y’all’s funny stories, love how extremely, absolutely sharp you all are, love your finds, love your lessons, love your pics, love Wife of LinnyMan, and love your old hands! (And btw, my hands looked beat-up when I was 25!... must be all the playin’ in the dirt we’ve done!)
              Last edited by Cecilia; 03-17-2020, 03:06 AM.

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Editing a comment
              Yeah Cc, I try to laugh and make others laugh around me...I’m going to tell on myself here because I have no inhibitions on my masculinity . No problem wearing a pink shirt !
              Once long ago on Valentine’s Day , I noticed that my wife had bought very sexy little red nite gown ! So, about midnight she had passed out in her chair.. So, I don’t like to waste anything and went and put on said gown. I ran out, woke her up and was running around flashing her. She laughed so hard that she couldn’t catch her breath. I tried but no luck, and that was maximum effort too !

Originally posted by Lindenmeier-Man View Post
            On the side note issue : And I hope I don’t get in trouble with Hoss/ Greg. I’ve had two big hunks cut out of the back of my right hand, ( Skin Cancers) and one day at church I was telling a good friend ( Brother )
            My dermatologist is taking this one off my hand in a couple of months... Same thing, driving. Right hand on the wheel, left arm out the window, and those are where I have my crusty sun spots.

Name:	903FB9C5-47D2-41B2-8A69-78CB7C23BB86.jpeg
Views:	425
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	430599

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Editing a comment
              Yes Sir, dammit ! I was cutting mine off about once a month until my uncle and I were working on a panel together. My uncle looked at my hand and said, “ That’s skin cancer! “ I owe him a debt of gratitude ...
              You’ll be surprised at how much the doctor will take out around the thing, sorry...

those dammed hoppers are2 1/4” long and eat the poo out of everything, I can kinda relate to the locust deal in the Bible.
            Floridaboy.

Comment

Clovisoid, what is the location and can you post some more pictures of points from there? Would love to see them. If you've posted them in the past I missed them.

Comment

• clovisoid
                clovisoid commented
                Editing a comment
                Sure, I'll make a post with some finds. The site is on the Caribbean coast of South America. (You can see Aruba on a clear day.)

Gee, and I thought I was one of the oldest forum members. Lol
              North Carolina

Comment

Working...
              X