Hertfordshire Puddingstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hertfordshire Puddingstone

I found this last year on one of my hunts. Looks just like a bit of hardcore (concrete) but it is actually a conglomerate called Hertfordshire Puddingstone. Pudding as in plum pudding, an English dessert.
    I live in the county next to Hertfordshire.
    I am not sure if it is an artifact but it ticks the boxes on its ergonomics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5118.JPG
Views:	760
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	467283 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5121.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	467284 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5122.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	467285 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5123.JPG
Views:	557
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	467286 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5124.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	467287 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5126.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	467288 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5125.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	467289 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5127.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	467290

If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Artifact or not, it's a very cool specimen.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Nice, never saw anything like that before...just looked em up, saw they were found up around the Great Lakes, if I lived in that neck of the woods I’d be lookin for some, thanks for sharing.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• LucasBMylks
        LucasBMylks commented
        Editing a comment
        I didnt know that. Thanks Hal. Some more reading for me to do now.

Interesting material: harder than a concrete, and sometimes used in buildings
      Hertfordshire has a number of icons, from historical events to modern celebrities. One of the most unique and enduring, though, ...

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• LucasBMylks
        LucasBMylks commented
        Editing a comment
        The `Church` took to using them too. Only as people believed in the mysteries of the stone `PRIOR` to the `Church` even existing.

A very unusual specimen for sure. I never saw a chunk of conglomerate that looked like it was sawed to create a right angle and as you say the overall ergonomics seem to fit the idea of it being a tool. Very strange, indeed.

Comment

• LucasBMylks
        LucasBMylks commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah really weird....it fractures thru the pebbles and `the bit that sticks it together` like it is one whole lithic. Strange thing is, just like flint, we still dont know exactly how it is formed.

• sailorjoe
        sailorjoe commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Lucas. I am not a geologist at al, having only one class in introductory geology in my college days many, many years ago, but HST if I did not misunderstand your comment to my post then yes we know how flint/chert was formed and also conglomerate. That is why I think your possible artifact is most unusual.

It’s beautiful! We have lotsa conglomerate here near the Savannah River, Georgia, but mostly the coloring is drab (I still keep it, though). The only British-type pudding we have is at the grocery store:
      Quarantine has made me silly. But did eat sponge pudding a lot when lived mother country one summer many yrs ago. Went to St. Alban to look for Verulamium and Bleak House. Enjoy your phenomenal surrounding heritage, comforting plum pudding, and beautiful rocks! And, thank you for posting and reviving my memories.
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

That is some very nice conglomerate. One of our nearby parks has large outcrop ledges of conglomerate. It’s Upper Carboniferous in age, Rhode Island Formation. The larger the pebbles in pudding stone, the stronger the river that deposited them at its mouth in that distant past world....

Name:	15FCD97F-3C8A-40E9-9D48-A2374644A8DA.jpeg
Views:	368
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	467954

Name:	4D1994C6-2545-481D-8E5B-E630B9F870E6.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	467955
      Rhode Island

Comment

• LucasBMylks
        LucasBMylks commented
        Editing a comment
        Amazing! Thanks Charlie you have just answered the question I havn`t asked yet. After Hal mentioned the Great Lakes I went looking on-line and remembered I had looked at them before and noticed the pebbles were a lot smaller. This made me wonder and you have solved it for me. Top Man!

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        The outcrop in my photos overlooks Narragansett Bay, in the state of Rhode Island.

Hi Lucas. How've ya been?

Cool specimen.

Geologically, Hertfordshire puddingstone is what we call a ‘silcrete’… a rock which contains high purity silica (around 97% in this case) but, despite being composed of two phases, behaves as if it were a single rock. It has no pores, is frost-resistant, doesn’t readily weather and is virtually indestructible. Generally, there’s not much of it left in situ where it originally formed (in what is now the Chilterns), but it has been distributed further south as a result of glacial disturbance and transport.

In the early Palaeocene through to the beginning of the Eocene between 66-56 million years ago, there was rapid erosion of uplifted chalk deposits, releasing huge numbers of flint cobbles and pebbles into what was the beginnings of the North Sea. These stones were smoothed and rounded by wave action, geologically sorted to a typical size range of 10-20mm and deposited as shingle beaches or off-shore shoals mixed with silica sand.

Over the next few hundred thousand years these shingle deposits became subsurface land deposits as a result of falling sea levels and a brief period of ‘drying out’ during the Palaeocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum. Then, groundwater rich in silica from the surrounding rocks percolated through the shingle, precipitating to form a conglomerate of pebbles and sand, strongly bonded by a silica matrix. The groundwater was also iron-rich, resulting in generally brownish colourations (occasionally pinkish) from iron oxide staining.

Here’s a slice from my collection. You can cut and work this stuff without any danger of pebbles separating from matrix.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pudding Stone.jpg Views:	7 Size:	136.7 KB ID:	468354

Local folklore holds that it has magical properties and, traditionally, a piece of it was given to newly-weds… probably as a fertility symbol. It was also said to protect against witchcraft, and there is a record from 1662 of a suspected witch being buried with a piece of puddingstone on top of her coffin (to keep her in). Among many colloquial names it’s also known as ‘growstone’, from a belief that it could multiply itself in an amoeboid fashion.
      Last edited by painshill; 07-09-2020, 07:12 AM.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• LucasBMylks
        LucasBMylks commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello Roger
        I`m good yes thanks for asking.
        Hope you and the Good Lady are doing well.

Wonderful input as always. I had read about the `drying out` sequence and it kinda fascinates me. Such a hard stone.

`to keep her in` had me crying.
        The Mother-in-Law said she would claw her way to the surface and haunt me when she goes. So I was going to bury her face down! But maybe now i`ll just chuck this on top of her coffin.
    Working...
    X