Is this white tool a scraper or cutter of some kind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this white tool a scraper or cutter of some kind

I am very excited to find a new site at Avebury a large pre-historic stone circle complex here in the UK. I have this smaller grey scraper to confirm the settlement but this white tool is not elegantly made but is a great shape and has been notched/chipped on the round edge and around sides and top, it holds very well in the hand as it has a nice pronounced round bulge. Is this some kind of scraper chopper?

Thanks
    Sam
    Last edited by Sam James; 08-04-2020, 06:15 AM.

Sam, That look's very similar to a piece I found in north central IL. I posted mine a few years ago and got several responses ranging from a polished adze to a discarded unfinished piece. Mine is a bit more flat without the hump in it.

Found this 4 years ago (north central IL farm field) and it's what got me started but I have found some really nice pieces since then and now wonder if this is even an artifact. It's definitely chert. The shape and some marks/angles on it hint at it being worked. I still think it's an artifact but after joining this site a few

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_64417.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	475647

Comment

• Artifascination
      Artifascination commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember that one Hyzer! I actually found the twin to yours! It is almost identical to yours in size, color, and shape. The polish on the one that I found shows that it was used as a woodworking tool. I will post it

Looks great Hyzer thanks for posting, where is IL?

Comment

• Hyzer
      Hyzer commented
      Editing a comment
      Illinois is in the Midwest U.S., southwest of Lake Michigan. Chicago, IL borders Lake Michigan.

Wow that second piece has THICK patina!!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Yes sir that’s a definitely a tool! Awesome find! Here’s one that I found similar to yours.Click image for larger version

Name:	A1289991-DF50-4756-A3AD-4EA2BC9E69E5.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	475684
      SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Hyzer
        Hyzer commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, quite similar. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Sam.

The smaller one appears to be a small button scraper, and the larger one a planiform knife made on a large flake. Both likely Neolithic and typically not ever so refined. I have collected a number of artefacts from that same vicinity adjacent to Stonehenge, many of which are barely modified beyond debitage. Here's a few.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Neolithic 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.2 KB ID:	476640 Click image for larger version  Name:	Neolithic 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	476641 Click image for larger version  Name:	Neolithic 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.9 KB ID:	476642 Click image for larger version  Name:	Neolithic 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.4 KB ID:	476643 Click image for larger version  Name:	Neolithic 5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.2 KB ID:	476644

There seems to be something about the soil/water table in that area which, in some flint types, promotes the very thick patina Tom referred to, and brown threads or splodges of iron-staining are also commonly seen in the patina. The flint types affected by this always seem to be brownish-grey inside (from the ones I've picked up that are broken) rather than the rich black of the button scraper.

There is strong evidence of feasting (from the numerous accumulations of bones) in the general vicinity, which is believed to be the direct result of people seasonally visiting the henges, rather than from settlement per se. Consequently, there are numerous crude butchery tools to be found in small groups.

PS: We have a designated section on the forum for 'International Artefacts' (ie non native-American) and I am going to move your threads with UK items into that section. I'll leave a 'redirect' hotlink in the section where you originally posted so folks can easily find them, but that redirect will expire in 14 days and the posts will then only be accessible from the 'International' section.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• antmike915
        antmike915 commented
        Editing a comment
        very cool post Roger
    Working...
    X