Fluted Point Technology in Neolithic Arabia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluted Point Technology in Neolithic Arabia

New World archaeologists have amply demonstrated that fluted point technology is specific to Terminal Pleistocene American cultures. Base-fluted, and rarer tip-fluted, projectile points from the Americas have been well-documented by archaeologists for nearly a century. Fluting is an iconic stone tool manufacturing method and a specific action that involves the extraction of a channel flake along the longitudinal axis of a bifacial piece. Here we report and synthesize information from Neolithic sites in southern Arabia, demonstrating the presence of fluting on a variety of stone tool types including projectile points. Fluted projectile points are known from both surface sites and stratified contexts in southern Arabia. Fluting technology has been clearly identified at the Manayzah site (Yemen) dating to 8000–7700 cal. BP. Examination of fluted points and channel flakes from southern Arabia enable a reconstruction of stone tool manufacturing techniques and reduction sequences (chaines opératoires). To illustrate the technological similarities and contrasts of fluting methods in Arabia and the Americas, comparative studies and experiments were conducted. Similarities in manufacturing approaches were observed on the fluting scars of bifacial pieces, whereas technological differences are apparent in the nature and localization of the flute and, most probably, the functional objective of fluting in economic, social and cultural contexts. Arabian and American fluted point technologies provide an excellent example of convergence of highly specialized stone tool production methods. Our description of Arabian and American fluting technology demonstrates that similar innovations and inventions were developed under different circumstances, and that highly-skilled and convergent production methods can have different anthropological implications.
    Rhode Island

If the article is suggesting that geological areas in the world came up with there own individual methods and styles for fluted point and tool technology, I believe it...Boy that’s a long winded paper, part way thru I forgot what it was all about, Lol..I wonder if it got an A+..Thanks for showin and stay safe..
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Gorges View Post
      If the article is suggesting that geological areas in the world came up with there own individual methods and styles for fluted point and tool technology, I believe it...Boy that’s a long winded paper, part way thru I forgot what it was all about, Lol..I wonder if it got an A+..Thanks for showin and stay safe..
      Sure, independent invention does happen. Where that concept has often been brought forward is in the debates involving cultural diffusion vs. independent invention, where cultural traits and/or artifact similarities are concerned. For instance, ground slate technology is common in circumpolar regions. Ground slate points in Norway. Ground slate points in Alaska. Ground slate points in Maritime Canada.
      Rhode Island

Comment

I wondered where the post had gone, thanks Doc !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Cool article CMD.

Number 13 in that group of fluted points was found about 200 yards down the hill from my "Clovisoid" site. The guy who found it let us catalog it, but wanted to keep it. That wonky black & white photo of it was a xerox copy of the original picture. There were a lot better artifacts from that site, but that is the picture that gets used all the time.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
          X