King Ramses 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Ramses 11

I know that some of my posts can get long winded. I want to give as much information as I can because some folks are not informed on all the posts on this site.
    Many years ago I was at this Artifact auction and these two miniature Bronze statues came to the block. No one there knew what they were worth. So to buy them all I had to do was to get up front and do a dance number and sing a song! Or in other words I got them for a song and a dance! (just kidding). So for $5.00 I came home with them. I did some research and have posted as follows, information on King Ramses the second.

ANCIENT EGYPTIAN STATUES PHARAOH King Ramses II the Great Ramesses lived to be ninety-six years old, had over 200 wives and concubines, ninety-six sons and sixty daughters, most of whom he outlived. So long was his reign that all of his subjects, when he died, had been born knowing Ramesses as pharaoh and there was widespread panic that the world would end with the death of their king. He had his name and accomplishments inscribed from one end of Egypt to the other and there is virtually no ancient site in Egypt which does not make mention of Ramesses the Great

Pict 1 is a front view, #2 is the back and #3 is a photo I pulled from the internet to show more detail of what mine once had. On the rear side #2 there is some wood that these were attached to. The wood was preserved by the Bronze keaching into the wood. I highly value these miniature statues in my collection. Thanks for looking. Kim Ps I was Corrected. Not Ramses!

# 1 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2887[1].JPG Views:	67 Size:	106.5 KB ID:	533803#2 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2888[1].JPG Views:	43 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	533804 #3 Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (2).png Views:	41 Size:	263.0 KB ID:	533805
    Last edited by Mattern; 02-16-2021, 09:04 PM. Reason: Addition
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Good score but this is not Ramesses II, or at least the larger one on the right isn’t. It’s Osiris, the god of fertility, agriculture, shepherds, the dead, resurrection and the afterlife among other things. The smaller one is less clear, but I think also of Osiris, not Ramesses II or any other pharaoh.

It’s a typical depiction, showing Osiris wrapped as a mummy from the chest downwards emphasizing that connection to resurrection and afterlife and he normally has a long, braided beard, emblematic of divinity. He’s also holding a flail/whip and a short shepherd’s crook with his arms crossed. Although these are regalia associated with Egyptian kingship and it’s a pharaoh-like depiction in that sense, there’s an important difference in the crown he’s wearing.

That crown type is called the ‘Atef’ and is specifically associated with the Osiris cult. The centre part of the crown is the ‘Hedjet’ (known as the white crown of upper Egypt) as would be worn by a pharaoh, but with the addition of an ostrich feather on each side. The feathers can be identified by the distinctive curl at the top and a slight flare at the base and are specific to Osiris. The front of the crown usually has a cobra (uraeus) aligned vertically as protection against his enemies and opponents.

Like these, which are typical Late Dynastic pieces from 664–31 BC and rather later than Ramesses II.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Osiris 1.jpg Views:	15 Size:	27.9 KB ID:	533828
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Osiris 2.jpg Views:	15 Size:	60.7 KB ID:	533829
    Last edited by painshill; 02-16-2021, 07:56 PM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

[QUOTE=painshill;n533827][SIZE=14px][FONT=Calibri] Okay I should have asked you to do the info. end of this. No really. Mine are very poor in detail and in research, so many are so alike. Thank you for the information about my pieces. Now your lower pict, is that one like the ones I have? they look very similar.

Comment

• painshill
        painshill commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes that last one is of a similar age to yours (Late Dynastic) and of a similar type. I included it to show what these figurines look like without any museum-type restoration... versus the larger one above which has been restored/conserved.

Fascinating history gents. From an area of the world that I wish I was more familiar with.
      South Carolina

Comment

Cool pieces Kim!
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Love Egyptology hard to believe a lot of our artifacts were made 5,000 years before the pyramids !!!
          New Jersey

Comment

I heard that!

Comment

Egyptian stuff scares me, , Lol...But that was nice save..A dance you say, hmmm, very interesting..good post
              Floridaboy.

Comment

Yes, it's a region with a fascinating history. Coincidentally, this story appeared today, with apologies that it's from the sensationalist Daily Mail, whose grasp on ancient history has always been it's Achilles elbow Click image for larger version

Name:	Egyptian Dance.gif
Views:	143
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	533969Click image for larger version

Name:	ROFLMAO.gif
Views:	249
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	533970

Archaeology: Pharaoh who ruled in Egypt more than 3,500 years ago was caught in battle and executed | Daily Mail Online
                Last edited by painshill; 02-17-2021, 06:53 AM.
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

If you boys want some Egyptian action you should watch this on Netflix here a link of the preview. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=77_UeHKMB-I My son loves it and has watched several times and I was glad to watch it with him. They have had a huge discovery recently as well seems like every month they are finding something. Saqqara type in your search and you can see dozens of news articles.

Comment

[QUOTE=SGT.Digger;n534321]If you boys want some Egyptian action, Phenomenal things have been happening in Egypt over the last few years. I watched a program last week were they, with NASA are using Infrared Sat. images. They have found several new Pyramids as well as thousands of never before seen. structures.

Comment

Working...
                    X