Belize Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belize Tools

Hi all. While going through some of my Artifacts I came across these Tools. My Father and Stepmom visited Central America a number of years back. Dad picked these small flakes while poking around in Belize. They look similar to Johnny's Central Plains Chert. The two large tools he bought at a curio shop also in Belize. I really don't know what to call these blade/ chopper/ Celt/ tools because I have no idea what the central Americans might have been doing with them. I would assume they are similar to our own Natives tools. I also have no idea what culture they came from. Really no of that matters to me because they were a gift from Dad. I just thought you might like to see some tools from Central America. Kim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2970.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	537271

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2968.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	537270
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

thanks for sharing
    Wyoming

Comment

Cool stuff! I think Belize is probably the most chert/flint rich country out there, and you've got some cool examples there.

The blue grey piece looks like a classic celt, lowland Mayans used slash & burn agriculture followed by letting the fields go back to jungle for several years. If it's thin and polished then it could be a spade, but most of them are celts used for breaking up undergrowth.

The other piece is probably a knife of some type. They range from really thick to thin.

Years ago Mennonite farmers used to sell lots of them to tourists.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Clovi Great Information. Neither one are very thin. But I like em.

Thanks Kim...look like the coulda come from Florida.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Hey Kim, those blades look useful and large. Interesting history.
        South Carolina

Comment

• Mattern
          Mattern commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you NW!

Cool to see kim!
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Cool post, the right piece is killer.
          🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Thanks for showing, it funny though, a guy from my little town of grenada ms owns a little over half of Belize. Paul carpenter, he has a private air strip there
            Mississippi

Comment

Working...
            X