Ukraine Paleolithic Stone Tools, Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ukraine Paleolithic Stone Tools, Part 1

Hi everyone! I purchased six stone objects recently from the Ukraine: I was told they were Epigravettian stone tools found in the Dnieper River Rapids area and were from about 25-12,000 BC. Some of them I am a bit unsure of, but there are a couple that do look very similar to worked ones I've seen before, and they do have iron stains from groundwater contact. I apologize for the quality of the pictures: I had a crazy weekend and didn't get a chance to photograph these until I got home tonight.
    Firstly, there is this small piece. It looks similar to "bruised blade" knives, cores, or fire-starting flints that I have seen before, and is perhaps the one that I am most confident about.
    The possibly-worked side
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E0546.JPG Views:	1 Size:	106.1 KB ID:	559643
    And the flat side
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E0548.JPG Views:	1 Size:	111.5 KB ID:	559644
    I'm splitting this into two posts so as to not have too many pictures in one. Thank you all for any help you can provide!
    Last edited by Chlodovec21; 05-31-2021, 01:38 AM.

Next is what looks like it could be an awl or an auger?
    "Worked" side
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E0553.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	559646
    And the unworked side. I will say one thing: even if none of these are worked, this is some of the prettiest flint I've ever seen.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E0557.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	559647
    Thank you guys very much for any help you can provide!

Comment

The first one looks like a broken blade (from blade-core). The second one looks like a reduction flake.
      The patina tells me that the flakes are ancient but how old is anyone's guess.
      I don't see any evidence that either flake was used as a tool.
      Last edited by Ron Kelley; 05-31-2021, 06:52 AM.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I 2nd Ron's opinion.

Comment

I’ve read about blade cores, and its neat to think it might have been a tool that someone was making before it broke. Here’s a picture of the edge of the second piece: finally got some decent shots.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	1A2C4C3C-F00D-4C60-A1F9-32109617EFE2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	154.1 KB ID:	560675Thank you guys for your help!

Comment

Definable a worked edge. For cutting something

Comment

If you can find yourself a reliable dealer in the Ukraine there are some great lithics to be had......but they have a massive industry of fakers there, who use tumble rollers and acid to etch the surfaces to create patina and remove the air-pockets. A huge health warning on anything that comes from there. eBay is their main market place....just be so careful, even if they have impressive positive feedback ratings. Just because 200+ other gullable folks were robbed by them soes not mean they are selling genuine artefacts.

It took me a few years to find a guy there I could trust....but as I say, there are some awsome flints to be had. Below are two examples of objects that have come out of the Ukraine.

The first is genuine - a Middle Palaeolithic bifacial cutting tool from a Neanderthal technocomplex called 'Keilmesser'. This is a type of Levallois Product that was dominated by ovate bifacially retouched knives.

The second - is a faked flint Early Bronze Age dagger. These are by far the most faked objects they produce. You will struggle to find a genuine one on the market !

Comment

Working...
              X