Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neolithic Mini Celt

Evening all!
    I picked up this stone tool from North Africa recently . I’ve been doing some research on some of the differences between Neolithic and Mesolithic stone tools and was inspired to try to get my hands on one. It’s a bit on the small side; I’ve seen several of a similar size: does anyone know how they were likely used? As always, thanks for any help you can provide!
    Side 1
    Click image for larger version

Name:	F4F3125F-4999-4FDD-9FA7-B5A52D26890E.jpeg
Views:	398
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	563025
    Side 2
    Click image for larger version

Name:	B5583E56-3551-4CD8-8BEF-3657B4F3E678.jpeg
Views:	340
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	563026

Nice but I have no info on the Saharan artifacts. Maybe Roger will see this and comment for us.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Celts either Neolithic or the ones we find here in the USA were used as wood working tools. They come in a variety of sizes. Some may be very small. They were set in wooden handles opposite the way a hatchet is halfted. That means the working edge is perpendicular to the handle shaft instead of parallel as are hatchets.

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Duh….. my mind just drew stupidest-looking picture! Now must find reference illustration to set self straight (unless you got one handy, please, SJ?!)

Why?
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

Thank you all! I thought it might be attached like that after seeing a similar (albeit flaked rather than polished) tool used in an episode of Time Team (I think they were using it as a chisel) but I’d also heard that this size was used as a weapon in war, so your info clears it up nicely!

Comment

Working...
        X