Some finds from Lincolnshire, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some finds from Lincolnshire, England

Here's a selection of Neolithic arrowheads that I've found fieldwalking over the past year or two. I hope these are of some interest. All now live in small plastic bags with map ref and date of finding.
    First some leaf-shaped ones. There seem to be more of these locally than anything else, often with minimal retouch. The one at top left is very weathered so perhaps has been out on the surface?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_123576.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	592278

A different sort of leaf-shaped:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210919_122356.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.9 KB ID:	592281

Not sure what you call these - Oblique?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210919_120613.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.0 KB ID:	592284

Flat oblique:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210919_121812.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	592283

The nearest I've got to finding a barbed and tanged. The one on the left looks a bit speculative but I think it's ok.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210919_122806.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.9 KB ID:	592286

Finally a particularly nice leaf-shaped that I found in July at a field edge .

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210717-212809_Gallery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.5 KB ID:	592289Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210717-212818_Gallery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.9 KB ID:	592290
    Attached Files

Nice photos, presentation and explanation General..nice collection.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Nice material
      SW Connecticut

Comment

I’m only seeing waste flakes, debitage.
        South Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by SDhunter View Post
          I’m only seeing waste flakes, debitage.
          Well that's a pretty sweeping assessment.
          Last edited by FlintfinderGeneral; 10-14-2021, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• SDhunter
            SDhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m sorry. Maybe they are what you say, but I could find a thousand little pointy rocks like that If I am wrong, I will become educated.

Regardless, this novice learned on this site that debitage artifactual!

​​​​​
          Any lithic artifact found in (one of our) Mother Countr(y/ies) may very well be from time before our prehistory. I have some old books re prehistorical European life; my favorite, The Testimony of the Spade was written by archeologist Geoffrey Bibby and published 1957. I will check it and others for any material that may provide you lil’ food for thought.
          Last edited by Cecilia; 10-15-2021, 01:18 AM.
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            Good.🤗

• Mattern
            Mattern commented
            Editing a comment
            Go get em CC.

Painshill would certainly know more about his local stuff, but the group looks like a nice scattering of Neolithic arrowheads and tools to me.

There simply was not nearly as much effort or "art" put into common tools in some parts of the European Neolithic when compared to what you see in Africa or the Americas. A sharp edge, and the right thickness to fit the arrow shaft was about the extent of it. The same people that knocked those out made some great art and things like Stonehenge, so they could do cool stuff, they just didn't waste much time on essentially disposable tools.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            👍

Originally posted by clovisoid View Post
          There simply was not nearly as much effort or "art" put into common tools in some parts of the European Neolithic when compared to what you see in Africa or the Americas. A sharp edge, and the right thickness to fit the arrow shaft was about the extent of it. The same people that knocked those out made some great art and things like Stonehenge, so they could do cool stuff, they just didn't waste much time on essentially disposable tools.
          Thank you for pointing out the above. I live in hope finding a high-status barbed-and-tanged but so far it's all been their everyday tools. Here are close-ups of some of the above arrowheads. Hopefully the retouching, sometimes so fine that you need a glass to see it, is visible on these images which I've had to downsize. Examples like these are scattered all over my local range of hills and I've been known to find ten or a dozen on a longish walk, with usually one or two decent ones amongst them. There must have been a lot of hunting here because arrowheads far outnumber scrapers. I'll create a thread for some of those and other tools when I have a moment.

Name:	20211016_140148.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	593012Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_140155.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	593013Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_140221.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	593010Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_140032.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	593016Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_140040.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	593017Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_140052.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	593015Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_141540.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	593014Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_140008.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	593019
          Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the forum from another Brit (I'm in Surrey).

I don't doubt at all that those are Neolithic points... and you have a good eye to have spotted them. Some are undoubtedly arrowheads, but it's unwise to assume that's the case for all of them. Points like that served other purposes too... especially the cruder ones with less aerodynamic profiles and fatter ends less amenable to hafting.
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Originally posted by painshill View Post
              Welcome to the forum from another Brit (I'm in Surrey).

I don't doubt at all that those are Neolithic points... and you have a good eye to have spotted them. Some are undoubtedly arrowheads, but it's unwise to assume that's the case for all of them. Points like that served other purposes too... especially the cruder ones with less aerodynamic profiles and fatter ends less amenable to hafting.
              Fair comment....I tend to think of them as arrowheads if they fit the recognised shapes, especially if the ends are recessed or tapered, but I accept that we can't always know and some of them might be for different purposes. The above types are common round here but I haven't (knowingly) found a single transverse arrowhead and only one of what I believe is a petit tranchet.
              Last edited by FlintfinderGeneral; 10-19-2021, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlintfinderGeneral View Post

Fair comment....I tend to think of them as arrowheads if they fit the recognised shapes, especially if the ends are recessed or tapered, but I accept that we can't always know and some of them might be for different purposes. The above types are common round here but I haven't (knowingly) found a single transverse arrowhead and only one of what I believe is a petit tranchet.

Yes, transverse/tranchets are pretty scarce. Although they extend into the Neolithic, you're more likely to find them on sites that had late Mesolithic occupation. Also more likely in areas that were wetland, which ties in with the belief that they may have been exclusively used for hunting wildfowl (especially geese and ducks).

I have a couple somewhere in my storage boxes. I'll post them if I can find them.
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Curious if that’s ALL your finding as far as flint goes? If so I would have to reluctantly agree to some as points/tools . There would be many more waste flakes if they were producing those at camp . You don’t just get those angles without having to go through a lot of flint to get them

Comment

Originally posted by SGT.Digger View Post
                    Curious if that’s ALL your finding as far as flint goes? If so I would have to reluctantly agree to some as points/tools . There would be many more waste flakes if they were producing those at camp . You don’t just get those angles without having to go through a lot of flint to get them
                    I don’t think what FlintfinderGeneral is finding is in any way atypical.

By Neolitihic times, the most usual camps were of the ‘causewayed enclosure’ type. Like this one (artist’s impression):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Causewayed Camp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.8 KB ID:	594359
                    That’s where the debitage will be. There are several of those in Lincolnshire, notably at Uffington where there are five of them within a 5km radius. It’s not known if these related to groups using different enclosures for different seasons, or because they belonged to separate groups or subdivisions, or if they related to groups abandoning old territories and moving on.

It’s not at all uncommon to find lithic tools in abundance in the areas around these kinds of camps, with no associated debitage. If you were searching within a camp (often there are no remaining surface features to identify them as such) the lithic scatter story would be rather different. Where there they have been identified, they often have ‘scheduled monument’ status such you can’t collect from them anyway.
                    Last edited by painshill; 10-20-2021, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT.Digger View Post
                      Of course, and I do find quite a lot of debitage but I don't take it away as if I did, I would be overwhelmed by shoeboxes filled with stones. I'll take cores if I think they might give useful clues - I don't have the experience to assess them but someone might - and that's it. I know of at least two fields full of debitage with no or very few tools and I presume they are "factory" sites where tools were made and taken away. I do find debitage co-located with tools but I don't make a record of every flake and chip I pick up and discard, as that would be an immense chore and I doubt it would ever help anybody. 98% of what I find is on ploughland and the other 2% is at the roadside or embedded in footpaths, so I like to believe that the things I take away aren't going to distort the historical record too much.

Comment

• Cecilia
                        Cecilia commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Some of us are overwhelmed by our shoeboxes full (I prefer open big aluminum trays myself!)

Originally posted by painshill View Post

Yes, transverse/tranchets are pretty scarce. Although they extend into the Neolithic, you're more likely to find them on sites that had late Mesolithic occupation. Also more likely in areas that were wetland, which ties in with the belief that they may have been exclusively used for hunting wildfowl (especially geese and ducks).

I have a couple somewhere in my storage boxes. I'll post them if I can find them.
                      This is my one example of a petit tranchet. I'm not totally sure of it and would welcome your opinion. The leading edge is still pretty sharp. I have wondered if it might just be a broken flake, given the unpatinated side, but there is definite retouch on that which my pics haven't really captured but is partly visible in the last one. And as a general point, I'm not convinced that uneven patination always means a flint has been struck / worked at two different dates, as mixed soil content could equally be a factor.

Name:	20211020_153344.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	594413Click image for larger version

Name:	20211020_153335.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	594412Click image for larger version

Name:	20211020_153353.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	26.3 KB