Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayan "artifacts" - need authentication

Hi,
    My grandmother left me both a large collection of arrowheads, but also a even larger collection of Mayan style pieces. She traveled extensively in the early 1900's, and was obsessed with Mayan artifacts in particular. I have roughly 150 pieces similar to the ones I posted. Does anyone know anything about the best way to get them looked at and authenticated by someone who is an expert in this type of stuff? My parents told me that at one point, a museum was bugging them for everything they had after seeing it, but they never followed up and got anything actually officially authenticated or valued. I'm about 30 miles NW of Chicago - so if anyone has contacts, or any feedback, please let me know. Thanks!
    TJ

those are neat pieces.

Comment

I know very little about this subject but enjoy seeing them. I hope someone here can point you in the right direction.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
        Always enjoy Meso American artifacts. With all of the resources available in Chicago, the museums, colleges and universities, etc., I'm sure you could find somebody who could help you with these items. Try contacting someone in their archaeology departments.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks!
          I've tried various museums and colleges around me, and they've all cited policy and "legal and ethical concerns" surrounding anything that wasn't scientifically discovered. One referred me to 3 websites of appraisers designations (ASA, etc.), but it's next to impossible finding someone local with a specialty in South American art.  I'm going to keep searching, but if anyone can help - please reach out!  Thanks!

Comment

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find someone.
            Have read recently about the legal and ethical concerns, mostly about items that may have been stolen, grave robed or smuggled out of the country.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Send to Jim Bennett. He is good with this.Here are a few more.

Jack

Comment

Want to know if anyone knows what these were for? It sounds like stone on the outside and it has a brown substance on the inside. Found 3 in an excavation in Southern California. One was cracked and given away. But I have these 2.

Comment

• Mattern
                  Mattern commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would suggest you do your own thread and not overstep someone else's Tim. It's just a courtesy

They are both completely unique and engraved all the way around with kind of like finger indention going up and down. Can send more pictures.

Comment

Those look like roller stamps.

Roll them in pigment with some type of binder (grease/fat/oil) and roll them on their bodies or cloth to transfer the repeating design.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

eFound them when they were escalating my yard of new these are not. house. Full of mud, had to clean tons to get it clean. Can’t be rollers cause they are even.

Comment

• clovisoid
                      clovisoid commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You can Google Mayan Roller Stamp to see some. You posted them under this old Mayan thread so I assumed you thought they were Mayan.

If you found them in Arizona, they wouldn't be Mayan. And I don't know that any groups up there made them.

Feel free to start a new thread with these.

they started make fakes of the southern Mexico stuff in 1493

Comment

• clovisoid
                      clovisoid commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They way they are folded over, makes me think some type of resin/plastic.

• Cecilia
                      Cecilia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ok, I’m not that old, but definitely long long time ago when first started collecting reproductions! My spoken/heard Spanish not too good, and understand more if read, but always knew new; if vender ever said original, I did not get it!
                      Last edited by Cecilia; 08-07-2022, 06:05 AM.

Yes, please, what Clovis suggested: make new thread, more pics! Can post up to 8 at a time if sized properly.
                    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Found them buried about 2 feet down in mud in Southern California not Arizona. I live in Arizona now.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like rock when tapped together. They are bent and not even with different patterns on them both . Looked up Mayan Roller Stamp. Can’t be that. Every roller I looked at was perfectly round.

Comment

• clovisoid
                          clovisoid commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Again, you posted them under a Mayan thread, so from the initial pictures they sort of looked like some I have seen from down there.
                      Working...
                      X