Visiting the cradle of civilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting the cradle of civilization

Hello everyone, I'm Rick better known as POINT MAN. I am delighted to be in the Forum with like minded people. Reminds me of my 34 years of Military Service with other like minded
    people. When you're a member of our great military you are asked from time to time to serve in diferent parts of the world and in different capacities in war and peace. I have experienced
    both. I would like to share an experience in a foreign land , experiencing the culture while under combat conditions. During Iraqi Freedom 2005 I was deployed to Iraq as the Commander of
    a Fuel Laison Team to the Corps Support Command in Balad Iraq, which is @ an hour chopper ride NE of Baghdad. That particular part of the world has a special history of being the cradle of
    human history. One of my responsibilities to the General was to make sure all military fuel sites were up to speed and functioning to standard. On one mission to one of our forward operating bases, I got to
    experience something that few people will ever realize, even many archeologists. This particular FOB was near the city of Nasiriyah Iraq. This city was still dangerous in 2005. Sitting just outside
    the city is the ancient city of UR which is home to one of the oldest structures on the planet; the Ziggurat of UR. I was asked if I would like to visit this sight. I jumped at the chance but knew
    there was a chance of IED's and enemy combatants in the area. We left one morning in a small convoy of armored vehicles and arrived at the structure without incident. Those Hummers can
    sure fly when you put the pedal down. The site was guarded and under control of the new Iraqi G'ment but I got unrestricted access to everything. You may remember that in the Bible, UR is
    mentioned very early and was the home of Abraham and of LOT, who left from there to go to Sodom and G. When you are there you feel like something comes over you and makes you feel that you
    are in the presence of something you can't see but you feel it. We all love looking for the ancient tools of hunting in the fields and creeks. While I was on the Ziggurat there were bricks everywhere
    with Cuneiform Wrting on it, which is some of the oldest written language known, and you can pick it up and hold it! However; don't get caught taking ANYTHING off of the Ziggurat or from the
    site. Penalty is pretty steep, and besides you would not want to lose your military pension for it. It was an experience that one never forgets. Any points that one would find there would probably
    be of Bronze since the site was erected during the Bronze Age. I will add pictures

Ziggurat of UR Click image for larger version

Name:	ur07.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	605648Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLDIERS ON ZIGGURAT.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	605644Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0416.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	605645Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0396.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	605646Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0401.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	605647
    Attached Files

Comment

Rick Thank you for your service. That looks like a special place, most people never will see.
      east Tx.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

That part of the world has so much history. I bet it was something to see in person. Thanks for your service!
          South Carolina

Comment

One of the places on my bucket list. I have a better chance of visiting there than the couple of places in Iran that I want to see.

I've been to Baghdad on business, but travel outside of the green zone wasn't allowed at the time.
            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

That was an awesome experience. Thanks for sharing it with us. Talk about fringe benefits of a job. That's about the best I ever heard of.

Comment

Just awsome.
                SE IA

Comment

What an awesome adventure you had. Thank you for sharing the pictures and story.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thank you for your service, sir. Also…thanks for the cool pics.

you know a place is old when they only used two letters to name it, and it’s actually just someone mumbling.

Thak- ”what are we going to call this place?”

Ogg-“……ur…..”

Thak- “brilliant!”
                    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

How did I miss this!? Thank you!

And thank you so much for your service. I can salute in my sleep, but I am awake as I am saluting you now….!
                      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Like cecelia..how did I miss this....Yes it’s quite a feeling to travel in the footsteps of ancient peoples..I went down through the canal and up the Persian gulf and a few miles up the Euphrates River in 62 on a destroyer on a mission to protect an oil refinery...its a timeless place and as a young Christian I was in awe of all the places I’d read about...It was also a most miserable place at 110 degrees in the shade and no shade anywhere...Glad you got back safely 👍
                        Floridaboy.

Comment

Thanks to all........me too, they tried more than once to end my point hunting back home.. Hal....Navy Man; thanks to you also. Yes...HOT! I have a picture of one
                          of our thermometers at 117 under the awning, and windy..like a huge blow dryer on you. Dry Heat.......NOOOO. when you're wearing 25lbs of body armor; everything is wet....

Comment

Working...
                          X