Saharan Ground Axe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saharan Ground Axe

This Saharan Axe is ground to a polish from bit to poll. However the lateral edges are not ground. What's in a name? In the U.S. most people would call this an adz. I think the same stone implement could be used as either an axe or an adz. The distinction would be in how it was hafted: The picture of New Guinea axes and adzes shows the difference. My thoughts do wander at times: I got a little sidetracked there.

Here are the pictures of one of my Saharan Axes:

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	613844

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	613845

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	613846

And here are some New Guinea Axes and Adzes (Not Mine)

Name:	New Guinea axes and adzes.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	613847

Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Great example. Some of those are really well made and used from nice material.

Those Neolithic people used those things well, there are far more of them in the Sahara than trees or wood to use them on.

At one point the Sahara was a very different looking environment, you see a lot of rock art with hippos and crocs in a sea of sand.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Wow, amazing collection! It sure is neat to see the hafted ones. How did you come to aquire so many Sahara artifacts, if you don't mind me asking?
      South Carolina

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Caleb, I purchased the Saharan artifacts. They are interesting and very inexpensive.

Great post Ron. I like. K
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Boy did they ever put a rug burn on that axe..Interesting to see the halting methods..good post.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

Easy to forget the entire rest of the planet in a American forum and fascinating to recognize the sameness (more than differences) of our histories. Thanks for showing them , Ron.
          California

Comment

This material is classic in colour and style of the Tenerian Culture; with lots of artefacts coming out of the Tenere Desert in Niger. The area would then have been a grassland environment with some trees and seasonal lakes.

If I get time I will post some more images of objects I have acquired from the region, but here is one semi-polished axe to give you a comparison.
            Most of the core tools coming out of the area are axes rather than adze; so have symmetrical cutting heads.

The real beaties are the discoidal cutting tools in an olive green jasper

Comment

Love it !
              Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Working...
              X