UK tiny arrow head found this Sunday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK tiny arrow head found this Sunday.

Found this arrow head sunday Chiseldon Wiltshire UK, its very transparent glass like and tiny !
    Attached Files

Welcome to the forum Sam and great introduction. We don’t get to see many projectile points from the UK.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hi Sam. Welcome to our forum from Alabama, USA. It is a small point indeed. It looks like it was made from quartz. Not knowing where Chiselton, Wiltshire was I went to google maps and located it. Seems to be approximately 30 or 40 miles east of Bristol. Did you find any other signs of early man on the site where it was found or was it a random finding while walking somewhere? Are you a collector of early man artifacts?

Comment

• Sam James
        Sam James commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure why my other posts are not shown here I have posted previous finds.This is a neolithic site I have discovered local to me its about 1 mile from two prehistoric hill forts and 10 miles from Avebury so lots of pre-historic sites here. I have found axe heads and 6 other arrow heads and a ton of scrapers and points. The finds are found across a large field which could be a village settlement!

• sailorjoe
        sailorjoe commented
        Editing a comment
        Your other posts may have shown here, but I missed them, sorry. Sure looks like you are onto a very good site.

great little find and welcome .
      Wyoming

Comment

Beautiful relic and beautiful material.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I like it. Welcome Sam. very nice discovery indeed.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome aboard from Kalamazoo Michigan. Great find you have there!
            👍👍
            Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Sweet..Welcome from Florida..
              Floridaboy.

Comment

Very interesting to see a piece from the UK . Hope you keep posting .

Comment

Hi Sam

If you click on downwards pointing arrow in the “Search” box at the top right of the page and then on “Advanced Search” in the drop-down box that appears you can enter your screen name in the field that says “Members”. Enter it as “Sam James” (with or without capitals) and wait for the database to find you. If you then click on the green button that says “Search Now”, links to your previous posts will appear.

That's a very nicely worked ‘point’ and made from flint. The flint quality in your area can be sufficiently high that a thin tool will be translucent, bordering on transparent.

Although it might be an arrowhead, it doesn’t exhibit classic features that enable it to be confidently assigned as such. Usually, these kinds of items are assigned as points (without prejudice that they might be arrowheads), or blades. They were also used for a variety of intricate cutting, carving/shaping tasks.

You may find these guides to typical Neolithic arrowheads helpful:

Click image for larger version  Name:	British Barbed & Tanged.jpg Views:	0 Size:	252.1 KB ID:	661306
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	British Neolithic Arrowheads.jpg Views:	0 Size:	303.7 KB ID:	661307
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	British Leaf Typology.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.2 KB ID:	661308
                  I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks Painshill, my mistake I posted this maybe upside down, see a more complete arrowhead here from the same site, I am guessing this new one is the bottom 2/3 of an arrowhead missing the point end which the flake seems to be tapering into.... you can see I have mocked up how it might look complete on the right.... what do you think?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the post. We really wish more folks from around the world would show their finds Sam. That sure is a sweet point. Kim
                      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam James View Post
                        Thanks Painshill, my mistake I posted this maybe upside down, see a more complete arrowhead here from the same site, I am guessing this new one is the bottom 2/3 of an arrowhead missing the point end which the flake seems to be tapering into.... you can see I have mocked up how it might look complete on the right.... what do you think?
                        Hi Sam

What you're suggesting is indeed possible... but that's the problem with broken artefacts. One can only guess the typology if one end is missing.
                        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                        X