Waorani Blow Gun and Darts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waorani Blow Gun and Darts

The Huaorani, Waorani, or Waodani, also known as the Waos, are an Indigenous people from the Amazonian Region of Ecuador (Napo, Orellana, and Pastaza Provinces) who have marked differences from other ethnic groups from Ecuador. The alternate name Auca is a pejorative exonym used by the neighboring Quechua natives, and commonly adopted by Spanish-speakers as well. Auca (awqa in Quechua) means "savage".
    They comprise almost 4,000 inhabitants and speak the Huaorani language, a linguistic isolate that is not known to be related to any other language.
    Their ancestral lands are located between the Curaray and Napo rivers, about 50 miles (80 km) south of El Coca. These homelands—approximately 120 miles (190 km) wide and 75 to 100 miles (120 to 160 km) from north to south—are threatened by oil exploration and illegal logging practices. In the past, Huaorani were able to protect their culture and lands from both indigenous enemies and settlers.
    In the last 40 years, they have shifted from a hunting and gathering society to living mostly in permanent forest settlements. As many as five communities—the Tagaeri, the Huiñatare, the Oñamenane, and two groups of the Taromenane—have rejected all contact with the outside world and continue to move into more isolated areas.

My Uncle Charles, studying Micro Biology in Ecuador visited a clan of this tribe. He was gifted this Blowgun and Darts by their Chief. I can’t say what type of wood the gun is made from but from the end view it is very beautiful. The dart box cylinder appears to be Bamboo. The darts are coated with Curare. To tell the truth I am very careful handling these darts. The Blow gun is 58 inches long by 1 ½ inches wide and is oval in shape. It was split down the middle to make the hole and glued back together with a black substance. The length of which is wrapped with a very tough grass. The darts are splits of wood and dipped in Curare. The cap of the box once had a handful of Flax type material that was added to the end of the darts to build pressure to propel the darts. It is attached to the gun with a very interesting braid made from animal Sinew. Uncle and I tried it out years ago and found it to be very accurate at 30 feet. Before my Uncle died he gave me these wonderful Jungle weapons’. Enjoy, Kim.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4506.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	662526Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4498.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	662527Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4497.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	662528Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4501.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	662529Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4503.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	662530Some of this readings are from Wikipedia, that I checked for accuracy.
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Neat Kim! I believe that's the blowgun you showed me pictures of. The wood is black palm wood and it is wrapped with the inner bark from a tree that I would recognize, but I can't seem to find its name online. The tree has hollow branch nodes which often contained little ant nests. The bark was peeled off and used to tie beams together in hut construction, the inner bark was used to make cordage and wrap blow guns and it also was used to dye cotton a reddish brown color. After a native friend of mine was showing me how to strip the bark, my hands were stained brown for over a week. My mom wasn't very happy about that. 😁
    South Carolina

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info Calab, it's good to know more about this. And yes it is the one I showed you. K

thanks for sharing that , most interesting .
    Wyoming

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Your welcome Brett, just something a little different. K

Really neat Kim!
    South Carolina

Comment

That's very cool. It's a beautiful implement, expertly made. Even better to have the quiver and darts and know it's authentic.
      Can't believe the darts are poison though. What kind of gift would that be?
      California

Comment

Good read Kim..Don’t try to smoke it😄👍🇺🇸
        Floridaboy.

Comment

I recognize the wood from the ones I have seen from Venezuela and Colombia, but they are usually round. Neat differences.

The curare poison is different among different tribes and groups, but neat stuff.

In Venezuela and the Guianas there were groups descended from African slaves who live a very tribal existence. (They are civilized in Venezuela, but still very isolated in parts of Suriname and French Guiana.) They used to be called Bushinengues, black people of forest would be the polite translation.

They kept their beliefs, a religion comprised of beliefs from several different religions from Africa, a mixture of several languages as well. The Curare poison they adopted from the Arawak groups is the origin of zombies that came out of Haitian Voodoo. It's one of the few non-fatal curare poisons, it paralyzed most muscle groups except part of the diaphragm and heart, so you could take very shallow involuntary breaths but not move, blink or respond to pain.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Mattern
          Mattern commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. Thanks Clovis. K
      Working...
      X