Obsidian Hand Axe Workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsidian Hand Axe Workshop

Remarkable discovery. Ethiopia. 1.2 million. Unknown hominid. This first article has photos that show the embankment and setting. Really a sight, and site, to behold. Click on photo for caption. 578 pieces.

A team of researchers affiliated with several institutions in Spain, working with two colleagues from France and another from Germany has discovered an Obsidian handaxe-making workshop from 1.2 million years ago in the Awash valley in Ethiopia. In their paper published in the journal Nature Ecology & Evolution, the group describes where the handaxes were found, their condition and their age.

———————————————————————————————————

This article has a closeup of one of the hand axes.

An unknown species of human apparently mastered obsidian, something it had been thought only occurred in the Stone Age.

“Reporting on the latest findings from the Melka Kunture archaeological site in Ethiopia, a team of researchers has described the discovery of an obsidian handaxe workshop within a layer of sediment dated to 1.2 million years ago. This represents a staggeringly early example of obsidian shaping, and, according to the study authors, is the only handaxe factory ever dated to the Early Pleistocene.”
    Last edited by CMD; 01-26-2023, 10:53 PM.
    Rhode Island

Thanks Charlie. Truly remarkable.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks Charlie, It would be the dream of dreams to be a part of the discovery team.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
      X