• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• south fork
    replied
    [QUOTE]Ron Kelley wrote:

Originally posted by Hoss post=115124
    Was this the link you used? Ron   http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pu...halcedony.html
      Yes Matt, For some reason the link didn't copy correctly from the first post.
    As the USGS states: chalcedony is a catch-all phrase.
    Chalcedony is little more Descriptive than saying "Stone".
      There's a lot of local names for the same types of stone . Out west if it feels waxy it chalcedony just another form of Quartz .Very fine-grained variety of the silica mineral quartz. A form of chert, it occurs in a great variety of colours, usually bluish white, gray, yellow, or brown. Other physical properties are those of quartz. For centuries, chalcedony has been the stone most used by gem engravers .

Leave a comment:

• Ron Kelley
    replied
    Hoss wrote:

Was this the link you used? Ron   http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pu...halcedony.html
      Yes Matt, For some reason the link didn't copy correctly from the first post.
    As the USGS states: chalcedony is a catch-all phrase.
    Chalcedony is little more Descriptive than saying "Stone".

Leave a comment:

• Hoss
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CMD
    replied
    Ron Kelley wrote:

Chalcedony
      Chalcedony is a catch all term that includes many well known varieties of cryptocrystalline quartz gemstones. They are found in all 50 States, in many colors and color combinations, and in sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks. Chalcedony includes carnelian, sard, plasma, prase, bloodstone, onyx, sardonyx, chrysoprase, thundereggs, agate, flint, chert, jasper, petrified wood, and petrified dinosaur bone just to name a few of the better known varieties.
    minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodit...4-95/chalcedony.html
      Ron, page returned an error message. I believe your point is how can all these things listed be chalcedony? It does seem a tad odd :huh: and definitely one for Roger!

Leave a comment:

• south fork
    replied
    So is your point chalcedony ? We call any material that feels waxy chalcedony . Chalcedony is a very hard material. It has a hardness of 7 on the Mohs scale. It breaks with a conchoidal fracture, and freshly broken pieces have a very smooth, non-granular texture and a waxy to vitreous luster. These characteristics enable chalcedony to be cut and polished into a bright, durable gemstone.
    Chalcedony occurs in a wide range of colors. It is often gray, white, brown, red, yellow, orange and black, but it can occur in any color. It can also be banded or have plume, dendritic, mottled, mossy or other color patterns. At one time the word “chalcedony” was reserved in parts of the gemstone industry for a light blue translucent material; however, this use of the word has nearly disappeared.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Kelley
    replied
    Chalcedony
      Chalcedony is a catch all term that includes many well known varieties of cryptocrystalline quartz gemstones. They are found in all 50 States, in many colors and color combinations, and in sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks. Chalcedony includes carnelian, sard, plasma, prase, bloodstone, onyx, sardonyx, chrysoprase, thundereggs, agate, flint, chert, jasper, petrified wood, and petrified dinosaur bone just to name a few of the better known varieties.
    minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodit...4-95/chalcedony.html

Leave a comment:

• south fork
    replied
    Here's a little bird point made of chalcedony .

Leave a comment:

• south fork
    replied
    Its Chalcedony it comes in all colors but has a waxy feel we find out west all the time .

Leave a comment:

• Ron Kelley
    replied
    Yes It is definitely made of ROCK:
    I was hoping that someone could be a little more specific.

Leave a comment:

• OnewiththewilD
    replied
    soap!its carved outta soap! just kidding bud,from what ive seen it does look like chalcedony to me as well,but then again,i really have no idea.wish i could help man! maybe try sending a message to painshill?

Leave a comment:

• Ron Kelley
    replied
    Perhaps the right person simply has not seen this post yet.
    Does anyone have any idea what this lithic material is?

Leave a comment:

• Ron Kelley
    replied
    tomclark wrote:

A most important point about most knappable and preferable materials...... all cryptocrystalline quartz of some variety.
    I believe you missed my point. My point was this: Don't make me out to be a Fool.

Leave a comment:

• tomclark
    replied
    A most important point about most knappable and preferable materials...... all cryptocrystalline quartz of some variety.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Kelley
    replied
    I really did not know what chalcedony is so I decided to see what the USGS had to say on the subject.
    Surely the USGS would clear it up for me... Or maybe not. This is from the USGS:
    Chalcedony
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Statistics and information on the worldwide supply of, demand for, and flow of the mineral commodity gemstones  

Leave a comment:

• OnewiththewilD
    replied
    beautiful !!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X