Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shartis
    replied
    I am right in the heart of quartz country. Most of the points I find are quartz. I do find a good bit of ryolite on some sites and some other type materials but quartz is the dominant. For the most part the quartz ones are not made to good but some are really nice.

Leave a comment:

• wmwallace
    replied
    That is what I have noticed Butch, they are rough in most examples that I have seen. Like I stated before the example in your top photo might be the nicest one I have ever seen. The ancients used what was available in their area though, and in Carolina that appears to be the stuff!-Bill

Leave a comment:

• Butch Wilson
    replied
    Quartz points are my favorite points, I guess because there are a lot of them in the Carolinas. The material is so hard to work most appear crude, but there are some nice ones out there. By the way, the nature of working quartz does not show much flaking patterns.

Leave a comment:

• Scorpion68
    replied
    Butch - That is the best example of quartz types that I have ever seen.  I pland to print that and keep it handy as I run across quartz once in a blue moon.  Thanks for the info and pics.   ---Chuck

Leave a comment:

• wmwallace
    replied
    Those are nice Butch. Have you ever seen a well made quartz point? The top workmanship doesn't look to bad. I think per capita Carolina has the most quartz points if I am not mistaken. Must have been some hard stuff to work with, but can't help but love the tranlucency in them though. Nice stuff!-Bill

Leave a comment:

• Butch Wilson
    started a topic Local Quartz Types from Carolina

Local Quartz Types from Carolina

Here is a example of local quartz types from the Carolinas
    Crystaline Quartz

Milky Quartz

Sugar Quartz , Quartzite

Smoky Quartz

Working...
X